Newbie with a silly 3811 Question

Jedro

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 20+ year old HT 3811 is grinding in the rear end. I think it is the tranny, but I want to make sure it is not the rear wheel bearings.

Ok; here is the embarssing part, I can't get the rear wheels off. :ashamed:

I have taken codder pins out of the split nuts and removed the nuts from the axles, but the wheel won't budge. Looking at the parts diagram it looks like the axle is splined and should slide off, but I can't get them to move. I have tried to knock it loose with a weighted mallet, but nada, nothing. I have search for some other retaining device, but don't see one. :confused2:

I don't want to bend the wheel by really hammering on it, but I don't know what else to do.

What am I missing??

Thanks;
~ Jed

ironhorse

Threads
try some penetrating spray, let it sit over night, then try heating the hub from the inside, then try to work it loose:wink:

Jedro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks !

I have used some WD-40, may just need more time. I thought about heating with propane torch or heat gun, just wanted to make sure not missing another retaining device. I'll hit them with more WD-40 and heat to see what happens.

~ Jed

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
May be something stronger than WD-40, like PB Blaster, Yield, etc. to break through the rust, before you add heat.

oldyellr

Threads
A 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone makes an excellent penetrating oil. Works for me. According to info found on the web, it's better than proprietary penetrating oils.