Newbie needs your help on 1st rider. Yee Haaa!

Brads

Threads
Hi there. Was just given this groovy old Murray Ultra Rider, automatic drive, 46" triple blade. (No idea what year. 90 something maybe? You?) Well, it was filthy and had 4 flat tires but I aired 'em up, pulled her out with the truck and took her home anyway. Now I need your advice on how to get it back in action.

mower 7.jpg
mower 1.jpg Model 460777 Type 1277 01 Code 9601155B Briggs & Stratton Diamond I/C 20 hp
mower 4.jpg

Here's the story. Apparently the starter quit working (I have repaired it already, works well.) and they had another mower so they left this one sitting covered under a pine tree for about 5 years. Pretty dirty and lots of pine needles but not too bad considering. The worst I guess is the deck's covered with dirt, moss and rust. (as you can see)

mower 2.jpgmower 3.jpg

I haven't tried to start it yet, gonna change the oil first but it sounds right (compression wise) and turns over freely so my hopes are high. Guess we'll see. :smile:

Anyway, here's my plan. I'm thinking about high pressure washing the whole thing down, dropping the deck off, cleaning it good, sharpening the blades and running the old belts first (then new ones) to clean the rust off the pulleys. What do you think there? Suggestions? Anything else that needs to be done?

Anyhoo, love your forum and looking forward to my first mow. Thanks :thumbsup:

Holy cow I almost forgot. It's got no grass catcher. Any idea where I might find one?

UPDATE:
OK, pulled the deck and power washed everything. Cleaned up pretty good. I'm surprised. Still gotta use a screwdriver to start it though. Bad solenoid I suppose. No biggie there. Needs a new choke cable and the gas in tank has turned to yuck. Carb will need an overhaul. Speaking of which, anybody know how hard it's gonna be to get a carb kit for this thing? Carb w/float on a 20 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Oh, I dumped a little gas down the carb and got it to run a bit. Yippie :smile:

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
welcome, Im sure someone will be able to help with your questions in time.:smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When washing the deck with a pressure washer just be careful around the spindles and the idler pulleys so you don't push water into the bearings. As far as a carb kit for the engine. They are easy to come by, just make sure you know if the fuel pump on the front of the carb has three or four screws attaching it to the carb. The briggs parts diagrams will show both carbs, and if you go to a dealer to get the kit he will need to know which one you have.

Coca Kohler

Threads
If you need a carb kit for your mower the best way is to go on mower parts tree .com and put your engine number in. Then it will come up with a diagram of your engine. Either order one of them if you live in the US. Or get the part number search it in eBay and hopefully you'll find your part.

Brads

Threads
If you need a carb kit for your mower the best way is to go on mower parts tree .com and put your engine number in. Then it will come up with a diagram of your engine. Either order one of them if you live in the US. Or get the part number search it in eBay and hopefully you'll find your part.

Found it, thanks! :smile:

Brads

Threads
When washing the deck with a pressure washer just be careful around the spindles and the idler pulleys so you don't push water into the bearings. As far as a carb kit for the engine. They are easy to come by, just make sure you know if the fuel pump on the front of the carb has three or four screws attaching it to the carb. The briggs parts diagrams will show both carbs, and if you go to a dealer to get the kit he will need to know which one you have.

Thanks for the tip on the bearings. I was careful and it cleaned up well. Also, the fuel pump is a three screw type and it did indeed help me identify the right carb kit. :smile:

Brads

Threads
OK, next question. Rust on the lower side of the deck and should I worry about it

mower 8.jpg mower 10.jpg mower 9.jpg

The whole thing looks pretty good except for the underneath side. The paint is all long gone and it's pretty rusty. Now I don't really have a concern about the rust in general and I'm sure regular mowing will eventually blast it all off. (It took the paint off didn't it!?!) What I'm wondering about is if the rust, (because it's a very ruff surface) will cause the grass to stick to the bottom of the deck and clog it up. You know, kinda like when you try to mow when it's wet. All the grass clogs up and the mower dies. I don't know, if it is a worry the only thing I can think of to do would be to blast the rust off the bottom and paint it again. Won't be much fun but if it's gotta be done... So, anybody had any experience with this?

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
mowing leaves will leave it clean and shinny. then you could paint it or just spray it with modeck or pam or anything non stick

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
mowing leaves will leave it clean and shinny. then you could paint it or just spray it with modeck or pam or anything non stick

After the paint on my mower deck dies off I take my dremmel and get most if not all the rust off clean it with 409 or dawn. Paint it with self etching primer and two coats of high gloss white makes it nice and smooth and easy to clean :)