New ZT 60 HD

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Purchased ZT60HD in June 2010, thus had it almost a year. Used it today and thought to myself how easy it is getting to maneuver it. After years using a JD GX345 it took some getting use to. Not the make, the zero turn. Now I know where every bump is in my yard as mow so much faster and get a smoother cut. With the JD had to travel much slower for the same appearance. Be careful getting use to the zero turn. Will not go into details about almost putting it the creek less than an hour after it was delivered. Then a week later putting the front in my pond. But an old fart has to have some adventures in his life. :wink: A couple of tips on savings $$ if service it yourself. Believe it or not I can purchase the oil filters at my local JD dealer for about $4 less than the same filter as my Gravely dealer. It is a different part number but is the same filter. Let me know if want JD part number. Also just learned of where to save $$ on mower blade purchases regardless of mower brand or size blade. It is "The OEM Parts Store". Go to thier web site and search for your blade. They are in Chesapeake, VA. Fast delivery and blades are approx half of what my dealer wants. The blades were the same brand. But I digress... the ZT60HD is a good mower and very satisfied with it, but have my doubts about the operator.:wink:

I hear ya......I've got my own not-so-funny then, funny now story of my first 15 minutes on my Gravely after getting it home. Let's just say the Gravely is fine......but my wife's 6'/200lb wishing well in the front yard will never be the same:0)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
After 8 hr on the new mower the eyebolt that holds the deck tension spring in place fell off. Guess things are bound to happen tho I didn`t think it would be this soon. Anybody else have any problems with this.

The kawasaki engine manual says to change the oil after 8 hr. the gravely dealer said to change the oil after 25 hr and the hour counter on the mower says to change after 25 hr. Does any one know when I should change the oil? Thanks for the feedback.

My Kawasaki manual also said 8 hours for the first oil change, the Gravely manual(and maintenance timer says 25 hours) and the mechanic at my dealer told me 10 hours. I went with the mechanic's recommendation and then I will change the oil every 50 hours thereafter and filter every 100 hours(the Kawa manual says 100 hours for oil and 200 hours for filter but I think that's WAY too long....and most forum users would agree). That's unsual for the deck tension spring to come loose....my Gravely had little white chalk marks all over it when I picked it up where they checked the torque on EVERY bolt/connection on it. Don't know why yours would have been adjusted so far out that the nut would vibrate loose:0(
If you set the deck height at the very highest setting(5") you should be able to get it back together and tighten it until the spring stretches just an inch or two. You can "experiment" as the tighter you put it at the highest setting the "firmer/less vibration" the deck will have. But that also increases the pressure you have to use to push the foot deck lift assist to adjust it. You should be able to find a happy median. You may have already found this in your owner's manual and if I were you I would "mention" the problem to your dealer. If it's not a lot of trouble(or if your dealer will pick it up and deliver it) you may want to "insist" that they make it right and re-attach/adjust it for you. That's what Warranties are for.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just bought one I love it I've mowed my yard 4 times which is about 3 acres it only takes me 40 min and I still have a quarter tank of fuel well worth the money

Welcome to the growing Gravely clan on these forums(4 in this thread alone, including me:0)
They make a fine machine and I think each of us will attest to that after using them for a while(I've only got 13.5 hours on my 2012 Pro-Turn 152XDZ).

RustyBoy

Threads
Just purchased a new Gravely ZT 60 HD. Wish it would quit raining so i can try it out. Anybody out there have one of theese who would like to share their knowledge or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wallychoppers

Did you by chance add the seat suspension kit option? Wondering as I'm interested in the HD and tried it. I found it to be very bumpy for my bad back and thought that the suspension kit would help a lot, but just don't know how much improvement it would make.

Roachman

Threads
I just purchased one yesterday and won't get it until Saturday. Looking forward to it as it is my first ZT. I used to use a JD 420 that is about 30 years old. The new Gravely should save me a lot of time. It seems the new ones have a better seat on them so I will try without the suspension kit for now and get it is I need it.

bmwrider79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just purchased a ZT52HD. Very hilly land. Coming off a JD LX178 w/38" deck, culture shock to say the least. Tough go of the operations for first hour. Weird not using the feet for controls. managed to get stuck in first 5 min on slope with bad ditch situation. Wet grass & slopes bad mix.

Got the Kawasaki 730engine. Big fan of the Kawasaki. Dealer recommendation 10 hour 1st oil change then every 50 or annually.

5 hours on clock happy so far.

Roachman

Threads
Congrats bmwrider79. There is a learning curve with these as they are very nimble and responsive. I try not to move both hands at once when making small adjustments as it tends to zig-zag if I do. Making sure the wheels are moving before a tight turn will help save the turf underneath the inside wheel. Check your rear tire pressure as it will get better traction at lower levels like 12 psi. this can smooth out the ride too.

I'll be changing oil for the first time after I mow tomorrow, provided the weather cooperates.

bmwrider79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Roachman. Thanks for the tire psi tip. I will get a gauge on them. The seat I am giving some time on. Don't know how much the OEM suspension system costs. Guessing $200.00 so wait and see over time.

Found some led head lights on amazon for $40.00 if mowing in dark more I may add. Have one on my truck for reverse lite. No issues seeing trailer in dark now on reverse camera.

Roachman

Threads
You are welcome. The seat suspension kit costs $250.00 as I recall. I considered it when purchasing my mower and asked how much it was.

asrohrhd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have had this mower for over a year now and LOVE my purchase, Have a big yard and it has cut down my mow time considerably. Just be careful on hills. Have 4 small ponds in my yard and have almost put it in the drink twice. once they start sliding, little you can do to stop them.