new toro timemaster surging

jonrudder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought my timemaster 30 in June and it has already started surging? It starts fine and sounds normal until front lawn has been mowed. When the blades are disengaged, that's when it starts surging. I'll usually refuel for the backyard and it starts right up but still surging until the blades are engaged, then the engine runs evenly until the blades are again disengaged. Also, at the point it surges, there is a strong fuel smell like it's running rich. The mower is three months old, any idea why I would be having problems already? I have 1/4 acre yard, the front is about 1/3 the size of the back yard but a steep grade, don't know if that could be a problem?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
try using fresh high test gas mixed with a name brand fuel stabilizer per instructions on bottle.

Russ2251

Threads
99.9% of surging issues come from a lean condition.
Doubtful that using more expensive gasoline will fix it.
Have you tried the warranty route?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take the it back to the dealer for warranty service. Why try to fix something that should be under warranty?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it runs fine with a wider throttle opening as happens when the blades are spinning then surges when idling that sounds like a partially blocked idle jet.
This is if it really is surging ( throttle rod moving back & forth ) and not missing rich.

IT could also have a faulty float valve that is not shutting off the fuel at the right height so it runs too rich at idle, like the choke is on.

And finally it could be nothing more than a bad plug.

It is always a problem when trying to diagnose something with nothing more to go on but what is typed onto a screen.

At this point in time I would advise to take it back to the dealer for a warranty claim.
If your dealer is a good one they will get you to start the mower & show them the problem when you book the mower in and they have heard every funny sound an engine can make.
Again a good dealer will tell you "that is a clogged idle jet and not a warranty item do you want to proceed " or your plug is bad, not a warranty item " etc etc etc.

jonrudder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry I haven't replied since my post but I wanted to try the advice first. I tried the gas additive and gave it plenty of time to work. No difference. Cleaned the air filter, no dif. As for taking it to the dealer? I bought it at home depot, I doubt these guys would know anything that would help. I took a video of the problem so you can see and hear first hand, the problem. This mower is still way new, I bought it in June... please watch the video...https://youtu.be/W85k9u7XGmM

Russ2251

Threads
Cleaned the air filter, no dif. As for taking it to the dealer? I bought it at home depot, I doubt these guys would know anything that would help.
You could (and should) return it for a refund.
I would never accept anything that does not work as advertised especially given the $999 price tag.:mad:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes, I would definitely take it back to the Home Depoot.
either have them replace it, or they may have a local dealer that does the servicing for them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would just go to your local dealer and skip Home Dipo, doesn’t sound like they want to help you. Bring your receipt.