New-to-me "Vintage" SW 61" Walk Behind

Nice find!

Something I noticed (and may be wrong), the picture below the oil and filter, with the new spindle, the deck appears to have a hair line CRACK. Goes somewhat semi circular, likely when the spindle bolts underneath. Maybe 2-3" long..

You may want to inspect that further and if need be, get it welded before it gets worse..
 
.

I see what you mean and just checked it out. I could be wrong too but I think its just a scratch that has rusted and looks like a crack. The circular steel plate is 1/8" thick and welded on top of the deck and I cant see anything underneath in between the bolts. There's a lot of metal here but will keep an eye on it!




 
Last edited:
.

I see what you mean and just checked it out. I could be wrong too but I think its just a scratch that has rusted and looks like a crack. The circular steel plate is 1/8" thick and welded on top of the deck and I cant see anything underneath in between the bolts. There's a lot of metal here but will keep an eye on it!





1/8" thick really isn't much IF impacted with an object at speed. I'd have to turn the welder (MIG) down a bit to keep from burning thru it... Normal wear and tear, no problem..

With that pic from underneath and the rust there, I'd at least grind that rust away and paint with galvanized paint/ truck bed liner or something.

Just with the impact and bending the spindle, it took a hard hit. With that rust, even easier to bend/crack the deck...

Looking closer (with the underneath pic), it's cracked, following the spindle.

A quick "V" grind and bead with a MIG welder would fix it. Shouldn't cost much.

As long as you don't hit anything again (like the PO) with it, as you said, keep an eye on it...


MY BIL bent the deck on his JD years ago after hitting something (where the spindle comes thru). No cracks and we were able to straighten it with a BFH... Still going many years later..
 
What did you use to clean up with around the engine and deck? I've thought of using Gunk Engine Degreaser on my Scag but thought it might be too harsh on the paint.
 
.

Simple Green, a quick hit with the pressure washer, then a dose of WD40 on everything except the belts and the brakes.
 
You could see the fuel filter running almost dry in that video...

Probably the reason you got a good deal on it! Bet they didn't tell you about it..

Nice, cheap fix!!!
 
The filter is never really full at any point in time but its obvious there's more activity going on it it now.

I took the old pump apart to have a look-see and the diagram springs were missing. Somebody had messed around with things
 
Back
Top