New (to me) Mower Needs Work

Berniebac

Threads
I picked up this mower this morning. The owner had it advertised for $50 and I was only looking for a mower deck so I thought I would take it. The owner said he was using it and it stopped on him, he got it started, then it stopped again and would not start after that. He said that it threw the piston and broke the connecting rod. How he determined that I do not know. He may have had it to a shop or may have checked it himself. Anyway, for $50 I thought it was worth taking even if I just make it into a trailer.

It is:
Make: Columbia
Engine: B & S 16 HP Intek
Eng. Mod. #: 311777
Type: 0209-E1
Code: 011211ZD

When I get a chance I will post on the Small Engine Repair forum some questions about investigating the engine and if it might be worth salvaging.

Attachments

• ColFrontCornComp.JPG
    ColFrontCornComp.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 16HPSideComp.JPG
    16HPSideComp.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 3

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know how your $ equates to USA $ but for $50 here in the USA the tires and wheels alone are worth that. Looks like it has a nice seat also. :thumbsup: From that standpoint you have to look at everything else was essentially free for the taking. :laughing:

Berniebac

Threads
Don't know how your $ equates to USA $ but for $50 here in the USA the tires and wheels alone are worth that. Looks like it has a nice seat also. :thumbsup: From that standpoint you have to look at everything else was essentially free for the taking. :laughing:

That was exactly how I looked at it. I couldn't turn it down and if it comes to parting it out, I should easily get my money back.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take it apart. Maybe the block is still good. The last mower I bought with a broken piston just needed a head, piston and rod. Fixed it for less then 100 dallars with parts from a mower salvage yard.

Berniebac

Threads
Take it apart. Maybe the block is still good. The last mower I bought with a broken piston just needed a head, piston and rod. Fixed it for less then 100 dallars with parts from a mower salvage yard.

I am hoping that I can do exactly that. I don't know of any mower salvage yards in my area but will definitely check into that. Even if I had to pay for a used motor I might get it to useable again.