Export thread

New Models From Honda (2013 Hondas)

robert@honda

robert@honda

Honda Introduces Redesigned HRX and HRR Lawn Mowers at GIE+EXPO 2012

Improvements enhance performance and ease-of-Use

OCT. 24 - Honda Power Equipment today introduced its redesigned HRX and HRR premium residential lawn mowers at the 2012 GIE+EXPO trade show. Receiving several key feature updates, both the HRX and HRR Series have been redeveloped to include technological enhancements that improve ease-of-use and performance for homeowners and landscapers.

For the 2013 lawn and garden season, the Honda HRX Series has been expanded to offer a broader range of design choices for consumers. A new HRX Series model has been added to the lineup- the HRX217VLA. This self-propelled, Variable Speed Smart DriveTM Nexiteョ deck lawn mower is a self-charging, electric start model equipped with a small Cyclon sealed lead-acid battery for easy and dependable starting. The battery is mounted on the lawnmower's handlebar and integrated with a convenient automotive-style key switch.

All HRX mowers include Honda's unique Versamow SystemTM with Clip Directorョ that easily enables simultaneous distribution of clippings to both the bag and the ground. The Honda Versamow SysteTM is designed to be a complete four-in-one mowing system delivering the ultimate in flexibility. A Clip Directorョ lever located behind the engine cowling operates a sliding door between the lawnmower deck and the grass bag allowing the operator to easily:

Rear discharge;
Mulch 100 percent of clippings;
Bag 100 percent of clippings;
Simultaneously mulch and bag or rear discharge in varying degrees through 10 separate settings.

The system also offers a setting for leaf shredding where leaves are re-circulated until they are small enough to pass into the bag. All this can take place without tools or attachments required on most conventional lawn mowers.

HRX models are powered by the four-stroke, single-cylinder GCV190 OHC engine. In HRX electric start models, electricity is fed to a small starter motor incorporated in the GCV190 engine.

The HRR Series lawnmower line is designed to deliver exceptionally easy operation, high performance and superior fuel efficiency. The versatile Honda HRR Series consists of four different models, each containing a number of standard features and benefits, including:

An easy-starting four-stroke, single cylinder GCV160 OHC engine designed to reduce weight and increase lawnmower maneuverability;
The world's first internal timing belt on a lawnmower with reserve power for the most demanding mowing conditions;

The exclusive offset twin-blade MicroCut Systemョ that results in finer clippings that pack the bag more efficiently;

The Honda HRR 21" heavy-duty steel mowing deck;

An easy on/easy off grass bag (2.4 bushel capacity) for low-effort emptying;

An EZ Fold, adjustable two-position handle incorporating easily accessible controls, designed to maximize safety, comfort and convenience;

For 2013, Honda introduces a significant design upgrade for all HRR models: the inclusion of the 3-in-1 Clip Directorョ. With just one touch, the operator can quickly switch from mulching to bagging, eliminating the need for a mulch plug or costly attachments. The HRR lineup incorporates a newly designed, lighter weight GCV160 engine for increased maneuverability; the new GCV160 model also has a redesigned fan cover for improved cooling. In addition, an improved scroll and ramp design allows for improved mulching performance by optimizing recycling of fine clippings.

Honda also introduces a new model to the HRR Series of lawn mowers--the HRR216VLA, a self-propelled, Variable Speed Smart Drive lawn mower with electric start capability for easy and convenient starting. The company's newest HRR model also is equipped with the 3-in-1 Clip Directorョ, MicroCutョ twin blades, and the new scroll and ramp design.

At the heart of every Honda lawnmower is a world-renowned, easy-starting engine that delivers smooth, quiet, reliable four-stroke power and low emission levels.

All HRX and HRR lawn mower models are available nationally through Honda Power Equipment dealers.

Attachments

K

KennyV

Thanks robert@honda.... it's always good to see new improved mowers... :smile:KennyV

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

NEW HONDAS!! YES!!! :laughing: THANKS FOR THE UPDATES, THEY ARE GREAT!!!!! I think it is a good idea that the HRR series now has the Clip Director!! And I'm glad they changed the color of the bag on the HRR's. The grey on mine gets all dirty and looks weird....black is nice! :laughing:

When will they be on the Honda website??

slammed

slammed

Nice mowers can't wait to see um.

S

stygz

"improved scroll and ramp design allows for improved mulching performance by optimizing recycling of fine clippings."

What is this? Upgraded blades? I have to say I was not interested in the HRR line but checked them out over a month ago at HD and was really impressed. Is there expected to be a power increase with the updated engine? I would like to see a pic of how Honda incorporated the clip director in the HRR.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

"improved scroll and ramp design allows for improved mulching performance by optimizing recycling of fine clippings."

What is this? Upgraded blades? I have to say I was not interested in the HRR line but checked them out over a month ago at HD and was really impressed. Is there expected to be a power increase with the updated engine? I would like to see a pic of how Honda incorporated the clip director in the HRR.

Yeah, I would like to see that, also (a picture of the Clip Director). It would be nice if the HRR had the GCV190 engine like the HRX models. Robert@Honda: can you share a picture of the Clip Director on the HRR's??

S

stygz

The past two days i have been bagging for my fall clean up. Having to restart my mower every time I empty the bag is a pain. So I have planted the thought of buying a mower in the spring that a blade stop. I think it is going to be a new HRR. I wonder when HD will see them arrive?

Robert....please post some pics of the changes when you get a chance. WIll you be able to mix mulching with rear discharge like the HRX series?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The past two days i have been bagging for my fall clean up. Having to restart my mower every time I empty the bag is a pain. So I have planted the thought of buying a mower in the spring that a blade stop. I think it is going to be a new HRR. I wonder when HD will see them arrive?

Robert....please post some pics of the changes when you get a chance. WIll you be able to mix mulching with rear discharge like the HRX series?

Yes, if it has the same Clip Director, you would be able to do full mulch, full bag/rear discharge, or any combo in between. For example, it says in the manual and in videos that if you want to shread leaves you just have to set the knob to 1 setting to the left of full mulch, and it will circulate the leaves (and cut them up smaller and smaller) until they can get through the opening into the bag. Personally I just put it on full bag and do it, though. I love the blade stop on my mower! It is good, like you said, when you are bagging leaves, because when you don't have to keep on restarting it, so it saves gas AND your arm! Also if you want to grab a drink of water or pick up a stick off the ground....it is one of my favorite features on my HRX! :thumbsup:

S

stygz

I guess I was wondering if you can do the combo thing because in the press release it says 3 way director not 4 way like the HRX. My Lawn Boy platinum (toro super bagger) starts in one pull but when I bag my front lawn I fill 15-20 Home Depot yard waste bags thats alot of starting! Luckally I only do that once in the spring and once in the fall. I have really thick hybrid Bermuda grass. I really like the idle down feature too on the Hondas. Not sure if Toro offers that on the blade stop models.

S

stygz

Funny my Lawn Boy says made in Mexico and Honda is made in the USA

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I guess I was wondering if you can do the combo thing because in the press release it says 3 way director not 4 way like the HRX. My Lawn Boy platinum (toro super bagger) starts in one pull but when I bag my front lawn I fill 15-20 Home Depot yard waste bags thats alot of starting! Luckally I only do that once in the spring and once in the fall. I have really thick hybrid Bermuda grass. I really like the idle down feature too on the Hondas. Not sure if Toro offers that on the blade stop models.

Well maybe if the press release says something different, it won't be like the Clip Director on the HRX:frown:, but I hope it is. Where I live, I don't have to dump the grass/leaves in bags, I can just dump it at the curb, and once every 1-2 weeks a truck will go by and suck them up. I don't know what I would do if I had to put it in bags!:frown:

S

stygz

I believe they will pick up bagged clipping around here but I just dump the clippings in a field down the street (out of the bag of course) and reuse the bag. Could you imagine the look on the face of the waste truck operator seeing 20+ HD size bags needing pick up! Thats just clippings and no leaves.

S

stygz

Well maybe if the press release says something different, it won't be like the Clip Director on the HRX:frown:, but I hope it is. Where I live, I don't have to dump the grass/leaves in bags, I can just dump it at the curb, and once every 1-2 weeks a truck will go by and suck them up. I don't know what I would do if I had to put it in bags!:frown:

If I did that I would be blocking the street:eek:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

If I did that I would be blocking the street:eek:

I know...I have had some really big piles, also. This house is one of my customers....the pile was like 8 feet long, 4 feet tall, and 3 feet wide!
DSCN2038 - Copy.jpg
DSCN2039 - Copy.jpg
DSCN2040 - Copy.jpg

Carscw

Carscw

So now when the wind blows them all back into the yard you get to make a pile again.
You have a mower that is made to mulch so just mulch them and like magic they are gone and no ugly pile

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

robert@honda

robert@honda

I am still out of the office for a while, but as soon as I get back, or can remotely accesses some materials, I'll get you guys all the details.

I recall looking over a prototype HRR with the Clip Director, and I *think* is is just a two-position lever, either full bag, or full mulch, but don't quote me on that.

Old Blade Descriptions:
--MicroCut = twin blades offset; looks like a narrow X, only on HRX models.
--QuadraCut = twin blades, directly stacked on top of each other, only on HRR models.

New: Both HRX and HRR will be MicroCut and QuadraCut goes away on new HRR models. Blades will NOT interchange on HRX and HRR, due to design requirements to match the blades to the different engines (GCV190 on HRX, GCV160 on HRR).

S

stygz

Thank you for clearing up the blade thing. The clip director sounds similar to Toro on the recycler....assuming you recall correctly.

Looking forward to seeing more details

Thank you Robert.....(happy upcoming veterens day to you!)

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

So now when the wind blows them all back into the yard you get to make a pile again.
You have a mower that is made to mulch so just mulch them and like magic they are gone and no ugly pile

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Actually the leaves stay in place. By the time I get to the leaves they are so thick that it would still leave pieces on the ground if I mulched them. Bagging takes longer but cleans them up good. Honda mowers are better at mulching grass than certain leaves!

robert@honda

robert@honda

Photos of New Hondas

Here are the beauty shots, next post will have close-ups:

HRR216PKA [push, Clip Director]
HRRPKA_L.jpg

HRR216PKA [push, Clip Director]
HRRPKA_R.jpg

HRR216VKA [SmartDrive, Clip Director]
HRRVKA_L.jpg

HRR216VKA [SmartDrive, Clip Director]
HRRVKA_R.jpg

HRR216VLA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Electric Start]
HRRVLA_L.jpg

HRR216VLA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Electric Start]
HRRVLA_R.jpg

HRR216VYA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Roto-Stop]
HRRVYA_L.jpg

HRR216VYA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Roto-Stop]
HRRVYA_R.jpg

HRX217HZA [Versamow System, Clip Director, Cruise Control, Roto-Stop, Electric start]
HRXHZA_L.jpg

HRX217HZA [Versamow System, Clip Director, Cruise Control, Roto-Stop, Electric start]
HRXHZA_R.jpg

HRXVLA217 [Versamow System, Clip Director, SmartDrive, Electric start]
HRXVLA_L.jpg

HRXVLA217 [Versamow System, Clip Director, SmartDrive, Electric start]
HRXVLA_R.jpg

robert@honda

robert@honda

Now the close-ups:

MicroCut Blades (all HRR and HRX models):
2012_BLADE_FULL.jpg

MicroCut Blades (all HRR and HRX models):
2012_BLADE_PARTIAL.jpg

HRR216VLA Electric Start:
2012_HRRVLA_START.jpg

HRR216 Clip Director:
2012_HRR_DIRECTOR_BAG.jpg

HRR216 Clip Director:
2012_HRR_DIRECTOR_MULCH.jpg

HRR216 Rear Discharge:
2012_HRR_DISCHARGE.jpg

HRR216 Grass Bag:
2012_HRR_GRASSBAG.jpg

HRR216 Quick Rlease:
2012_HRR_RELEASE.jpg

HRR216VYA Roto-Stop:
2012_HRR_ROTOSTOP.jpg

HRR216 Smart Drive:
2012_HRR_SMARTHANDS.jpg

HRX217HYA Cruise Control:
2012_HRXHYA_CRUISE.jpg

HRX217HXA Cruise Control:
2012_HRXHZA_CRUISE.jpg

HRX217HZA Electric Start:
2012_HRXHZA_START.jpg

HRX217VLA Electric Start:
2012_HRXVLA_START.jpg

HRX217 Clip Director:
2012_HRX_DIRECTOR.jpg

HRX217 Grass Bag:
2012_HRX_GRASSBAG.jpg

HRX217 Quick Release:
2012_HRX_RELEASE.jpg

HRX217 Roto-Stop:
2012_HRX_ROTOSTOP.jpg

HRX217 Smart Drive:
2012_HRX_SMART.jpg

HRX217 Smart Drive:
2012_HRX_SMARTHANDS.jpg

HRX217 Wheel:
2012_HRX_WHEEL.jpg

HRX217 Adjuster:
2012_HRX_WHEELADJ.jpg

MowerMike

MowerMike

Is this correct ? "HRR216VYA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Electric Start, Roto-Stop]"

Looks to me like this model does not have electric start, just like last year's model HRR216VYA.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Is this correct ? "HRR216VYA [SmartDrive, Clip Director, Electric Start, Roto-Stop]"

Looks to me like this model does not have electric start, just like last year's model HRR216VYA.

Oops. Corrected now, good catch Mike

MowerMike

MowerMike

Oops. Corrected now, good catch Mike

I really don't understand the need for electric start on these models with the 160cc engine, especially with the Roto-Stop feature. Cold starting is a very easy and low effort one pull affair, and with Roto-Stop you never have to restart the mower after the initial start. Maybe the larger 190cc engines require more effort.

robert@honda

robert@honda

I really don't understand the need for electric start on these models with the 160cc engine, especially with the Roto-Stop feature. Cold starting is a very easy and low effort one pull affair, and with Roto-Stop you never have to restart the mower after the initial start. Maybe the larger 190cc engines require more effort.

Honda has been selling an e. start model with a blade clutch for 20+ years. HR215HMA, HRX217HMA, and now an HRR models gets it. So must be a decent seller. There will always be those customers who want every possible feature. I know Toro sells an e. start model with a blade clutch, probably other brands too, so maybe it's a marketing thing?

I'll ask the engineer about recoil effort on the 160 vs. the 190 engine.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Wow...nice pics.....thanks Robert! I see the Clip Director on the HRR's is a 2-point knob, not like the HRX's where you can have a combo of mulching and bagging--correct?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Wow...nice pics.....thanks Robert! I see the Clip Director on the HRR's is a 2-point knob, not like the HRX's where you can have a combo of mulching and bagging--correct?

Correct. HRR's Clip Director is either full-mulch or full-bag, not variable like the HRX.

The really nice thing is no more mulching plug to insert/remove or lose in the garage.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Correct. HRR's Clip Director is either full-mulch or full-bag, not variable like the HRX.

The really nice thing is no more mulching plug to insert/remove or lose in the garage.

Yeah I was just going to say that! It is so much easier with a "built-in" mulch plug. Another reason it is better is so your dog won't think it's a chew toy (yes, that actually happened! :laughing:).

MowerMike

MowerMike

My Husqvarna 7021P doesn't have or need a mulch plug. The rear door serves that purpose, since it is side discharge, rather than rear discharge like the Honda. Since the clip-director on the HRR mowers doesn't have intermediate settings like the HRX, it really offers little advantage IMO. What would really excite me would be a blade stop on the HRR216PKA push mower.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My Husqvarna 7021P doesn't have or need a mulch plug. The rear door serves that purpose, since it is side discharge, rather than rear discharge like the Honda. Since the clip-director on the HRR mowers doesn't have intermediate settings like the HRX, it really offers little advantage IMO. What would really excite me would be a blade stop on the HRR216PKA push mower.

IMO it serves a good purpose. Because since the Hondas have a REAR door, there needs to be a mulch plug if you are mulching. The thing that was annoying about the mulch plug on my HRR is that say you were bagging, but you wanted to keep the bag on but go to mulching, you would have to take off the bag and insert the mulch plug, and then put the bag on again. :thumbdown: But with the new design, you can "switch on the go". :thumbsup:

MowerMike

MowerMike

IMO it serves a good purpose. Because since the Hondas have a REAR door, there needs to be a mulch plug if you are mulching. The thing that was annoying about the mulch plug on my HRR is that say you were bagging, but you wanted to keep the bag on but go to mulching, you would have to take off the bag and insert the mulch plug, and then put the bag on again. :thumbdown: But with the new design, you can "switch on the go". :thumbsup:

How often do you use the rear discharge, anyway ? Heck, I don't even use the side discharge on my Husky, and in fact I've just bolted it closed with a clip and screw, because it's more of a nuisance than anything else. Rear discharges are even worse, because they blow everything back towards the operator and you end up with all that stuff on the soles of your shoes. If you didn't have a rear discharge on your HRR Honda, you wouldn't even need that clip-director.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

How often do you use the rear discharge, anyway ? Heck, I don't even use the side discharge on my Husky, and in fact I've just bolted it closed with a clip and screw, because it's more of a nuisance than anything else. Rear discharges are even worse, because they blow everything back towards the operator and you end up with all that stuff on the soles of your shoes. If you didn't have a rear discharge on your HRR Honda, you wouldn't even need that clip-director.

You would still need the Clip Director for the rear-bagging. I have never rear-discharged, but I bag all the time. On the Honda HRX and HRR both the discharge and bagging are in the back. The positive thing about rear-discharge is you can mow along flowerbeds both ways.

bwdbrn1

bwdbrn1

Honda has been selling an e. start model with a blade clutch for 20+ years. HR215HMA, HRX217HMA, and now an HRR models gets it./QUOTE]

Even earlier with the HR214SM.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The new Honda HRX and HRR models are on the Honda website:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The Exmark Commercial 30 is now on Exmark's website. See it here: Exmark Manufacturing - Products
EXMARK COMMERCIAL 30.jpg

-Tsunami-

-Tsunami-

Hi,
Honda HRR216 received a new type transmission?
Europe HONDA HRG 536 C7 VLEA
HONDA HRG 536 C7 VLEA - NOVINKA 2013 | [url]www.zahradni-stroje.cz | www.zahradni-stroje.cz[/url]
imagegen.jpgimagegenCAVTDR9U.jpgimagegen6.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi,
Honda HRR216 received a new type transmission?

Yeah it does look different than the one on my 6-year-old Honda HRR216TDA! :rolleyes:
DSCN5603.jpg

-Tsunami-

-Tsunami-

Yeah it does look different than the one on my 6-year-old Honda HRR216TDA! :rolleyes:
View attachment 13517

Yes, the TDA is an old three-speed model :smile:
New HRR transmission Variable Speed Fixed Gear Belt Clutch.
Prev HRR Cone Clutch Variable Speed Transmission.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yes, the TDA is an old three-speed model :smile:
New HRR transmission Variable Speed Fixed Gear Belt Clutch.
Prev HRR Cone Clutch Variable Speed Transmission.

Cool! Thanks for the information! :smile:

-Tsunami-

-Tsunami-

Cool! Thanks for the information! :smile:

Thx!:smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Thx!:smile:

It looks great! :thumbsup:

M

MisterEdF

I just got a HRX2174HYA from Home Depot. What is the difference between the 2174HYA and the 217HYA? They had both but I chose the one with "more numbers" because "more is better." :laughing: My luck is I'm sure I made the wrong choice. I bought a scratch off lottery ticket last week and the next guy in line behind me bought the next one on the roll and won $20,000 so I'm pretty sure I should have got the one with "less numbers!" :confused2:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I just got a HRX2174HYA from Home Depot. What is the difference between the 2174HYA and the 217HYA? They had both but I chose the one with "more numbers" because "more is better." :laughing: My luck is I'm sure I made the wrong choice. I bought a scratch off lottery ticket last week and the next guy in line behind me bought the next one on the roll and won $20,000 so I'm pretty sure I should have got the one with "less numbers!" :confused2:

The number before the "HYA" shows what version of the mower you have. The one you bought has a 4, which means it is the K4 version, which to my knowledge is the most up-to-date version of the HYA. I don't know why the other mower didn't have ANY number after the 217. :confused2:

M

MisterEdF

The number before the "HYA" shows what version of the mower you have. The one you bought has a 4, which means it is the K4 version, which to my knowledge is the most up-to-date version of the HYA. I don't know why the other mower didn't have ANY number after the 217. :confused2:
Thanks. Shocked that I picked the right one. Yea, 3 of them on the pile had the "4" and one had nothing.

M

MisterEdF

This might sound REALLY dumb but here goes anyway:

I unboxed my new HRX2174HYA today, added some gas and despite the 45 degrees and no lawn growth took it out for a "test drive" in my backyard. I can see this is going to take some getting used to! :laughing: Due to health reasons I haven't done my own lawn in over 20 years (I was too fat and couldn't breath after walking 50 feet). Having recently lost ~100 lbs I'm fitter than ever so I decided to fire the gardener and do it myself.

So i gassed up my HRX2174HYA, set it to full mulch and started it on the first pull. :thumbsup: First thing I noticed is how quiet it is, second thing was how I have to learn how to make turns! :laughing:

Anyway, my lawn wasn't long enough to cut, no growth since last year as it is still cold here. So I drove it over all the leaves that remain in my back yard.

My dumb question is, with the setting at "2" on all 4 wheels shouldn't this suck up and mulch most of the leaves? I had all the levers held but no leaves seemed to get picked up. How can I even tell if the blades are spinning without turning it on it's side? If I do turn it (for this or any other reason) which way can I tip it?

I just want to make sure it works before my return period from Home Depot is up just in case I need to exchange it. :confused2:

TIA!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

How can I even tell if the blades are spinning without turning it on it's side? If I do turn it (for this or any other reason) which way can I tip it?

To engage the blades you have to hold in the yellow button on the blade control lever and push the bar in. And to tip it over you tip it so the air filter is facing up and the muffler is facing down.

Carscw

Carscw

I don't get why they make them like this.

When the mower starts I want the blade spinning.

Why do you need to stop the blades but not the engine ???

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

If you want to move something that is in front of the mower you can stop the blades without stopping the engine so you don't have to pull the rope again to start it. Also it's good if you want to cross a driveway or something but don't want your blades spinning when you're on the concrete you can stop them for a few seconds. Below is a video to help him figure out how to operate the mower.

Carscw

Carscw

Why not just buy the clip that goes on the lever so you can let go and not shut the mower off?

Just sounds like one more thing that will break.
Mowers are getting to many gadgets on them.

We went 50 plus years you pull the rope and cut the grass next they will come out with a touch screen on them and voice control. LOL

My rider has a cup holder but really what are you going to carry in it beer or soda will go flat before you can drink it.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My rider has a cup holder but really what are you going to carry in it beer or soda will go flat before you can drink it.

There is something called water! :laughing:

S

stygz

Thats where you put the empty beer cans:thumbsup:

S

stygz

You would also want this feature when you are bagging the clippings. Stop blades, empty bag, engage blades.

If you dont like that feature you may be able to return/exchange it get the model below it without the blade brake. The HRX and HRR line both offer that option.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

You would also want this feature when you are bagging the clippings. Stop blades, empty bag, engage blades.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to include the most important reason why it's nice to have a mower with a blade brake clutch...thanks for reminding me stygz! Yes, it really comes in handy when you are bagging. Definitely when you are bagging lots of leaves where the bag gets filled up very quickly....you will be glad you bought a mower with a BBC!

S

stygz

I was at HD the other day. They had a HRX217VKA3___ instock. I see now Honda is out with version HRX217VKA4_____. What was the updates?

M

MisterEdF

To engage the blades you have to hold in the yellow button on the blade control lever and push the bar in. And to tip it over you tip it so the air filter is facing up and the muffler is facing down.

Thanks for the help. I think I wasn't pushing the yellow button until AFTER I moved the bar. I'll play some more today.

M

MisterEdF

Thanks for the help. I think I wasn't pushing the yellow button until AFTER I moved the bar. I'll play some more today.
YEP! That was it. Live and learn. :ashamed:

bwdbrn1

bwdbrn1

:thumbsup:

robert@honda

robert@honda

I was at HD the other day. They had a HRX217VKA3___ instock. I see now Honda is out with version HRX217VKA4_____. What was the updates?

The "4" is the most current version. The "3" has been discontinued (and may be discounted).

Two differences: The "3" uses an internal cone-clutch to adjust speed, while the newer "4" uses a belt-tension design. The "3" weighs about 1 lb. more than the "4" and otherwise, they are identical for all other features, controls, etc.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Why not just buy the clip that goes on the lever so you can let go and not shut the mower off?

In the 1970s, the US Consumer Product Safety Comish. made a rule: New mowers would need to be engineered so it would be next to impossible for an operator to stick there hands or feet anywhere near a spinning mower blade. Most mowers today simply kill the engine when you let go of the spring-loaded blade lever on the handlebars, so the blades and engine both stop spinning before you can get in trouble. In the industry, these are called "Flywheel brake" mowers, since a clamp/brake system is used to grip and stop the engine at the flywheel.

Better mowers use a blade clutch, which stops the just blade when you let go, but keeps the engine running. The beauty of this set-up is you don't have to pull-start the engine every time you have to let go of the handlebars (empty the bag, move a Frisebee out of the yard, etc.). These models are called "blade-stop-models" or in the case of Honda, "Roto-Stop" (a trademarked name). Because of the extra cost to mfg. the clutch, most blade-stop-models are about $75-$100 more than Flywheel Brake models.

NEVER defeat a safety device on a mower. Dozens of people every year lose fingers, toes, and get injured by defeating blade control devices. :thumbdown:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I'm glad you figured out what it was! :thumbsup:

G

GatorRay

Yes, if it has the same Clip Director, you would be able to do full mulch, full bag/rear discharge, or any combo in between. For example, it says in the manual and in videos that if you want to shread leaves you just have to set the knob to 1 setting to the left of full mulch, and it will circulate the leaves (and cut them up smaller and smaller) until they can get through the opening into the bag. Personally I just put it on full bag and do it, though. I love the blade stop on my mower! It is good, like you said, when you are bagging leaves, because when you don't have to keep on restarting it, so it saves gas AND your arm! Also if you want to grab a drink of water or pick up a stick off the ground....it is one of my favorite features on my HRX! :thumbsup:

This is my first post on my new Honda HRX217 VLA. It replaced an older "T" PPace recycler with a Tecumseh 6.5 "hp" engine. I got my new Honda at a local big box store. The staff was exceedingly helpful, reasonably knowledgeable and let me install the oil and a little stabilized gas right there in the store so I could demo the electric start mechanism. True to form, it fired right up. We were all impressed. They loaded it into my truck and off I went. I have mowed twice now. The first time not realizing the wheel settings were about an inch and a half lower than my previous mower settings so I inadvertently did a near scalp mode. The chute clogged up and I had to do a bit of flushing when I was finished. I waited over 10 days to mow the second time with the setting now at 3 1/2 inches based on the
numbers. I did a 100% mulch using the Versamow lever. It did a fine job. It was equal to my old mower's super mulching. This time there was hardly any grass residue under the deck or around the chute. I just took off too much the first time without realizing it. I have about 0.2 acres on my lot totaling about 3200-3300 ftイ to mow. It took me a little less than 45 minutes almost equal to my older 22 inch mower time. The electric start feature is really nice. You must pull the blade stop lever back to engage the electric start and you must be on a fairly low grass or concrete surface to permit the blades to turn as the electric motor is not superpowerful. That isn't a negative for me. It is simply a fact and something that the new user should consider for this mower. The fact that you don't have to plug in the battery for recharging is a super efficient engineering feat. The Nexite deck appears extremely durable. You might think that a plastic deck would be hazardous with a rotating blade but it is very solid and I believe it is actually heavier than my previous 22 inch mower with a steel deck (prone to rusting out x3 for that single brand.(That, in fact, is the principal reason I switched to the Honda Nexite deck as I was tired of having to repair the steel deck even though I was meticulous in washing off the grass/fertilizer/lime residues after every mowing for the 6 1/2 years of ownership on the last mower). I'll be anxious to see how it performs gathering/mulching leaves in the fall. The instruction say that I should elevate the wheels of the front of the deck slightly relative to the back so it will "scoop leaves in better. Makes sense. Maybe it'll cut down my leaf collecting/vacuuming/mulching with my corded vacuum mulch or unit. As far as the blade stop feature goes, this model does not have it. To be honest, I would not want that feature and did not seek it simply for the fact that if I stop to do something i.e. obstacle, hazard, put out an engine fire, etc. I don't want the engine running at all. The electric start eliminates that motor stays on feature as far as I'm concerned. I don't find it desirable. How do you turn off the unit other than turning the fuel stopcock off. It takes my mower nearly 2 minutes to shut down when I turned off the stopcock to eliminate fuel going to the carburetor . What happens when there is a fire etc. What about inadvertently running over a metallic object and not realizing it then re-engaging the blade only to have it eject forcefully? I see the engine continuing to run even though the blades have stopped as a hazard and I'm glad my mower shuts down when I release the safety bar. I guess it's a matter of "different strokes for different folks". I'm looking forward to many many years of reliable Honda lawn mowing.