Mower deck New Member / New John Deere D-110 Cuts Grass too low?

Mr. Beard

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Member / New John Deere D-110 Cuts Grass too low?
Hello all, This is my first post & my first John Deere D-110 Lawn tractor. Just took delivery 3 days ago and mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday. My concern is that the mower is cutting the grass too low while set to the highest cut of 4". It is also scalping badly in uneven areas. I called the dealer and was told to adjust the guide weels to the lowest setting [they were at the highest when I mowed]. Are there adjustments I can make to raise the blades/deck? I checked the tire pressures and they are good. I'm very unhappy with the cut and my lawn looks terrible. It may be a little of my inexperience with a riding mower but all & all it should cut higher at 4". I am seriously considering returning the mower if I cannot cut the grass higher? I don't want to do that and will try it with the guide weels set lower the next time I mow. If anyone is familiar with Florida's St. Augustine grass, it is a thick, spongy grass and needs to be cut fairly higher than most grasses. I believe the weight of the mower is causing the deck to ride lower then the 4" it is set at?

I am otherwise happy with the build quality of the D-110, it appears to made well.
Your opinions are appreciated.Thanks

talley2191

Threads
Perhaps something out of adjustment? Of perhaps it's a curse of the low end John Deere.

soulman

Threads
If you bought from a dealer make them correct the problem. It has nothing to do with weight of deck or guide wheels.

Mr. Beard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yesterday I leveled the deck as per the manual. I was able to raise the deck and have a 4 1/8" blade height now when in the 4" position. Hopefully this will improve the cut?

"The curse of the low end John deere" That's a lot of help guy.
I will contact the dealer if I am not satisified the next time I mow.

xp14629

Threads
Releveling the deck as you stated should help the problem. The guide wheels are there for guides only, they should be a quarter inch off the ground when you are at mowing height. If you did get this from a dealer, someone higher up than who you talked to before. Leveling the deck out is a major part of the setup inspection.

Mr. Beard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went back to the dealer Saturday and they offered to level the deck as high as possible.
I believe I have done that already. I'll find out in a few days after I mow again?
Other than that, the dealer says I have 30 days to return the mower.

talley2191

Threads
Did it fix it or have you returned it?