New member looking at a non running 111

Iwanttocutgrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I live in York PA. I recently just moved and now am responsible for taking care of the 1 acre of land my house sits on. I was looking into getting a riding mower to use. I was looking to spend no more than $200. I don't mind getting one that needs small repairs as I am pretty handy with mechanical stuff and am sure I could fix whatevers wrong.

My friends dad has a John Deere 111. He bought it a few years ago in working order but never really used it. He said he just had a newer battery installed along with a new spark plug and starter. After he got it back, he said it wouldn't start and it has been sitting there collecting dust for about a year now. He claims he paid $500 for it many years ago.

I went to inspect it yesterday and we hooked some jumper cables up to it and tried to start it. Nothing would happen. No sounds or anything were heard. Completely dead. I did spin the top of the motor and it did move so i guess the motors not seized or anything. I also tried hooking the positive cable directly to the big red starter wire but nothing happened. He was asking $250 for it in it's current conidition. I was thinking more along the lines of $100-$150. Does that sound like a fair offer for this mower? Also if I do get the mower or go to look at it again, is there anything that I could try to get it to crank over atleast. It won't start as the spark plug has been removed, however I want to see if it atleast cranks. Thanks for your help!
IMG_0177.jpg

okiepc

Threads
I would check it out before I paid for it but if it turns over and has good compression you can't be hurt. I would have the battery checked & charged properly & not use jumper cables. Check the oil before starting it. Are there studs missing from the wheel?

Iwanttocutgrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes i noticed the studs are missing from atleast the right rear tire. I could just replace them with bolts right? I cant get the engine to turn over as it does nothing right now.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
not running I would be thinking more like you, 100 dollar range. You have no idea what can be wrong with it.