New member John Deere 185

grady282

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have joint this forum looking for help w/ a hard starting Kawiski FC 540V on my John Deere 185. i have replaced spark plugs and spayed cab cleaner etc but still have a diffcult time starting. once it start it running great all day.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum.

Good luck!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You say once it starts it runs good. So I will take it that it starts hard when its cold. The first place I would look would be if the choke is working right.

grady282

Forum Newbie
Threads
i think i am getting gas to the engine once it tries to start you have to back the throttle off to 1/2. i also have to us spay starter fluid into the carburator with the air filter off.

How would i check to see if the choke is working right?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall the 185 John Deere has one lever, Throttle and choke all in one. When you push the lever pass the fast setting, (may have a picture of a rabbit), it will start to close the choke. By taking the air cleaner off you should be able to see a flapper valve at the point where air air goes into the carburetor. This valve should close when you push the throttle pass the fast setting and open when you push the lever down.

grady282

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, when you push the throttle all the way up the flapper to the carb throttle will close and when you bring the throttle back to the run postition it opens the flapper valve.

grady282

Forum Newbie
Threads
About 3 years ago the local John Deere shop installed a Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421 on the mower however that did not improve the hard starting. The engine on this JD is a Kawasaki FC540V-CS00 with Mikuni carb 15003-2131. i may try to take the carb off an clean it if i do not have to remove all the jets just completly soak clean the whole unit without getting into jets and ajustment screws.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might want to check the fuel pump, Take your fuel line off the carburetor and use something to catch the fuel and see if you are getting a good fuel flow to the carburetor. Replace your fuel filter it's cheap insurance.