New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i

Old Man 1550

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i
I have used Royal Purple with really good results. At work we used it in out screw air compressors. We had a 200 HP, and a 150 HP with a little 50 HP for back up. The 50 HP had 50,000 hours on it, and the company that did the work for us said they should rebuild the little one since it had so many hours on it. To me 50k hours was a lot.
They pulled it all apart, and all the parts were in factory specs. This was near Victorville CA, and there is a lot of sand in the air from time to time.
Since then, (1987), I have used Royal Purple oil in every thing I own. It's not always the cheapest, but I have never had an oil-related mishap. If I can find them, I used the K&N oil filters. The only trouble I have ever had with K&N is the last filter I bought, the welded on formed nut on the bottom broke off even before I put any torque on it. I e-mailed them with pictures and they sent me out 2 of them. I'd have to say they stand behind their work.
I can get them for my engine, but I'm not sure of their availability for other engines.
I hope it helps,
Smiles!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I bought a K/N filter for my mule (KN-128) one time, it came with a card in that said the nut (17MM) was for removing the filter only.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you only hand-tighten the oil filters, like they instruct. they should come off with out too much effort.
If not a strap wrench helps.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I had trouble with removing the filter on my mule, mainly due to lack of room to get pliers on the filter, and i never could get the right filter wrench, either too tight or loose.
so i finally made my own, got some old exhaust pipe slightly bigger than the filter, drilled and tapped 2 holes in it, and use 2 bolts to grip the filter, and i have a 7/8" nut welded on a plate on one end. works great and was basically free.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The b27i is a Walker zero turn with a 27 horse, fuel injected, Kohler engine, not a push mower. Does that change your analysis?
Nope, not at all.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Synthetic oil is in Vehicles, can go 15,000 miles or longer. In a Lawnmower could be once a year or longer. I have it in all of my equipment.
Umm, okay. Guess you could run Wesson Oil for a million miles too. That 15k or 25k miles per oil change is a SALES GIMMICK. Might call your favorite brand of oil and inquire about them replacing your engines. See what they say on parts and labor.

In a car or truck, oil gets changed regardless of flavor twice a year. Why, it's a multi-thousand dollar item. Mowers get changed once after scalping and yearly after that. Not that big of an expense.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rather than change my oil at specific intervals, I use an electronic oil tester. (You would be surprised how long oil can last based on actual measurements). This is similar to what I use :

You change oil because it's dirty. Not at 25k miles or sampled from a lab.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. The device measures the levels of acidity, carbon depositis, moisture and a few other impurities. And it works, no matter how little you know about it. Silly nonsense babble.

Changing oil annually is only a precaution, like preventive maintenance. Granted, it can pick up moisture over the winter but even that shows on the tester. Oxidation is less of a problem than people think.

For whatever its worth, taxicabs routinely use oil monitoring and not specific intervols for oil changes. (And that's some of the most severe use on the road.
We are not mowing with taxi cabs.

That oil tester is a joke at best. Seen those at the State Fair. Changing oil is PM.

New paragraph here. Bertsmobile1 knows his sh_t. End of message.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
300 seems kind of short for synthetic....? Id keep tabs on the condition of oil. FI engines are very efficient..... id think more like 500 honestly....
Keep stretching the numbers. I don't get it........ A 0 turn holds what a quart and a half? Some maybe more? Push mowers like 18 whole ounces?

Every time I buy a used mower, the oil is like tar. When I sell one, you have to step outside in the full sun to see the oil level on the stick, WITH your reading glasses. Which would you prefer?

slomo