New Honda HRX217VKA lawn mower (2021) won't start unless I use starter fluid

Threads
  • / New Honda HRX217VKA lawn mower (2021) won't start unless I use starter fluid
I just replaced my 2011 Honda GVC190 (which ran like a dream - with consistently easy pull start) but I managed to kill it. Replaced it @September with
the HRX217VKA. It started okay the first few times (under 5 times) but to get it started today, I tried starter fluid. I will call the place
where I bought it but any clue what's going on with it? I know some earlier year models had a problem with the carburetor (not my GVC, though) but this
is ridiculous.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / New Honda HRX217VKA lawn mower (2021) won't start unless I use starter fluid
Register your warranty and take it back for dealer service.
Could be any one of a dozen things and damage to the heads of any fastener will render the warrant void .

JBtoro

Threads
Agree with Bert. But you could check for spark just to satisfy your curiosity. Dozens of YouTube videos on that procedure. Although fairly rare, I have seen coils that were either dead, intermittent (fine when engine is cold; failed when hot), or too weak to push a spark down to the plug electrode.

Threads
Agree with Bert. But you could check for spark just to satisfy your curiosity. Dozens of YouTube videos on that procedure. Although fairly rare, I have seen coils that were either dead, intermittent (fine when engine is cold; failed when hot), or too weak to push a spark down to the plug electrode.
To you and Bert: Thanks for your rapid responses and for telling me what I should've known - add more detail to when it wouldn't start. This lawnmower is based on the GVC190 (weight's a little heavier, noise is louder, gas opening is larger (thank god)) but it's not the same machine. The repair shop said bring it in.
Register your warranty and take it back for dealer service.
Could be any one of a dozen things and damage to the heads of any fastener will render the warrant void .
For this mower, it was the first thing I did when I got the mower. Registering little items isn't something I do but this was too expensive not to. Thanks.

Threads
I checked the gas (it was clean) because the repair shop said it could be a clogged fuel line and I remember the last time that happened was frequently in a car I had ... yikes ... 40 years ago). I'll check the videos and will replace the gas. Bad gas used to be a problem from one-consistent gas station. It started cold but after I stopped it while mowing (so the engine was hot) I couldn't start it and that's when I used the starter fluid.

rustycat

Threads
I checked the gas (it was clean) because the repair shop said it could be a clogged fuel line and I remember the last time that happened was frequently in a car I had ... yikes ... 40 years ago). I'll check the videos and will replace the gas. Bad gas used to be a problem from one-consistent gas station. It started cold but after I stopped it while mowing (so the engine was hot) I couldn't start it and that's when I used the starter fluid.
Check to see if the auto choke is working is working

JBtoro

Threads
Never heard of a clogged fuel line. Unlikely since there is a screen in the tank that would prevent any but microscopic debris to pass through. Even if some debris did slip through, it might clog the carb jets but then the engine probably wouldn't even start & run. Again, check for spark if you are comfortable doing that. If it was the Honda dealer (versus a repair shop) where you bought it that diagnosed the clogged fuel line, I don't know what to advise. Maybe another dealer.