New here with question on Grasshopper mower

keller9431

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just joined the forum and have some questions. I have a customer of mine that I do general contracting for and they just blew up the motor on their mower. The motor has a golf ball size hole in the side of the case. They told me I could have the mower if I hauled it off of the property. It is a 2003 Grasshopper 725K 61" mower with 712 hours. Is the mower worth putting a new motor on and trying to sell it? I can do all the work myself, but is it worth putting $2000 into it to replace the motor? How much would this well for if I repaired it or would it be better to try and sell as is or maybe part out? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just joined the forum and have some questions. I have a customer of mine that I do general contracting for and they just blew up the motor on their mower. The motor has a golf ball size hole in the side of the case. They told me I could have the mower if I hauled it off of the property. It is a 2003 Grasshopper 725K 61" mower with 712 hours. Is the mower worth putting a new motor on and trying to sell it? I can do all the work myself, but is it worth putting $2000 into it to replace the motor? How much would this well for if I repaired it or would it be better to try and sell as is or maybe part out? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

What engine does it have and why do you need a $2000 to put back on it?

keller9431

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a Kohler 25 HP. I believe it is a CH25 according to the manual. The nameplate on the engine is gone. I looked up a price for a new motor replacement and it was around $2000.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think it would depend on the condition of the rest of the mower, it's 12 yrs old. Personally I would make that kind of investment in that old a mower. You could probably make more money scraping it out and selling the parts.

keller9431

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower was used on a weekly basis and never had any problems until now. Everything on the unit works as it should. I guess that is what I am trying to figure out. Part it out or repair and try to sell.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

keller9431

Forum Newbie
Threads
My motor is a horizontal shaft. Not sure of the shaft size yet. Need to look that up.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
My motor is a horizontal shaft. Not sure of the shaft size yet. Need to look that up.

Looks like it is 1 diameter inch by 2 inch length

Also, seems you will have to pay more for the horizontal.

A lot of engine parts for the Kohler CH25 on Ebay...seller looks to be tearing an engine down and selling the parts.

BWH

Threads
It has a Kohler 25 HP. I believe it is a CH25 according to the manual. The nameplate on the engine is gone. I looked up a price for a new motor replacement and it was around $2000.

Without a doubt a 725K with a new engine would easily bring $5,000!

If you believe the people giving it to you that the rest of the machine is sound you should be able to cash in on this deal.

keller9431

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been looking around at used ones and it looks like anywhere from $3500-6000 for a decent one. I just wanted to try and get an idea if it was worth more that $2000 to be able to get my money out of it.