Buying Advice New guy needs some help. Scotts 2348

jeo556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been lurking for some time but never posted. I didn't know much about tractors until I joined the forum, and honestly I still feel very ignorant.

That aside, I while back I decided that I didn't want to purchase anything new as I'm a firm believer that things just aren't made the way that they used to be. I also didn't want a beater that needed tons of work. Which brings me to my current find and questions for your guys/gals.

I've found a Scotts 2348 locally that seems to be in great condition. It has a 23 hp Kohler Command V-twin engine as well as a "power bagger" system.

Speaking with the owner he believes the tractor to be from ~2001-2002 and the engine is original. His asking price seems very reasonable considering the tractors condition and the fact that it has the power bagger system. From the small amount of detective work I've done it is essentially a John Deere GT275 but I'm not totally sure.

So what I was hoping I could get some help with is.........Does anyone have any expierence with the Scott's rebranded tractors? Is there something that I should specifically look for when I go take a look at this tractor? Or anything that a tractor newbie should know prior to purchasing a used tractor?

I used the search function prior to posting to see if this toipic has been covered already and got nothing, but I know that some forum searches aren't very thorough. So if this is covered I appologize in advance.

BTW, the asking price is $1250

Jeo556

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion RUN AWAY from this deal. Scott's units were built to challenge the MTD and Murray big box units. They did challenge both in who can promise the most and delivery the least. Have never seen one that would hold up and I only give $100-250 in trade on any that come in.

jeo556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the help. I do have a follow up question. Are you saying that the Scotts 2348 isn't the same tractor as a John Deere Gt275? Or that the John Deere Gt275 tractors aren't worth the asking price?

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts from what I'v read this tractor is identical to the John Deere gt275, and I've been told that any JD is good to go.

Thanks again for your help. I really cannot afford to make a ~$1200 mistake.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, they are not the same. Scotts is built for JD and does not have the quality you will find in the units JD builds.

jeo556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets, thanks again for your help. Is there anything in particular that turns you away from these tractors. I was speaking with a co-worker and he mentioned that Kohler makes a great engine so he thought you must know something specifically regarding the rest of the tractor.

Also, would you recommend this setup over a new tractor of the same price, which would be the lowert grade JD that Hope depot sells or a craftsman from Sears?

Thanks again, your advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion Scotts is a lower grade JD. I have been repairing small engines for over 40 years and the Scotts mower is on the same level as Murray and MTD. Light weight chassis, stamped deck, plastic bearings, cheap steering setup, among other things. I have gotten to the point where I only recommend the major brand names and that to is getting difficult to do today. The lower end Toro and Cub Cadet among others are now being made by MTD.

The Scotts/Miracle Gro company sold a line of Scotts branded tractors, all built by other maufacturers. The final line of Scotts lawn tractors were built by John Deere. These same models were later sold as Sabre brand tractors by Deere.

Ask any good mechanic about the Sabre line. I just feel that for $1200 you can get a much better unit if you do your research.

CS3079

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although $1200.00 is much, much more than I'd pay for a Scotts or Sabre (or even an aged JD), they are a much better mower than Murray or MTD in my op. I sold a '91 19HP Scotts (made by Murray) and purchased a '98 Sabre HV2254 for $360 four years ago. A world of diff btw the two. The HV series is BASICALLY a JD - GT275 with a B&S Vanguard eng and a tuff torqe K65 trnsm. I believe the Scotts JD built HV equivs were very similar. Both built in Moline, IL. probably on the same line as JD's. HD frame, HD deck, metal bearings, a beautiful little L/G tractor which still runs strongl It deps on what you want to do with it. Old mowers are old mowers, they break down when driven hard. If you're cutting 5 rough acres every week, be prepared to wrench or pay someone who'll make you wish you bought new.:eek: I cut 3/4 acre and plan on having this mower 'till death do us part!'. Yes, I've put in wheel bearings, hydro fan, fuel pump, blades, cleaned the carb out,etc....... all stuff I'd expect to do if the paint were a darker shade of green and yellow. The good thing is, you WILL find the parts for JD built mowers. On the other hand, people push them as JD's to get a piece of the JD BRAND name premium without having paid it themselves, LOL. Buy smart, not necessarily brand specific. BTW,Guess who makes the low end cubs now :laughing:

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets said:
Yes, they are not the same. Scotts is built for JD and does not have the quality you will find in the units JD builds.

I don't get the hype about JD
They are over priced.
I know many people that had to weld plates to the deck to remount spindles that have broke off.

My brother inlaw paid over two grand this year for his new JD. And was in the shop a week after he got it. Then it would bog down and slip the deck belt in two foot grass. I came over with my 1990 42 inch 14.5 hp MTD with everything but the belts original and cut his yard. In fourth gear with no trouble.
There are so many better mowers for your money then junk Deere

They make the third best farm tractor but junk mowers

I would take a new craftsman over a new JD every time

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And just some fast info Murray frames are the best built frames. That's why they are used for race and mud mower racing

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

CS3079

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, a funny story. My father in law purchased a Scotts (JD) S1742 tractor from HD new in '99 on sale for $900. This was NOT a heavy duty model. Light frame, steel frt axle, yet he cut four acres of bumpy farm yard for 12 years with it bef he started having minor issues. I changed the solenoid on it when it failed to start for him in 2011. Last spring, same thing happened and he insisted that it couldn't be the solenoid (even though he doesn't know DS about anything mechanical) and continued starting the thing with a screwdriver for months???? Finally, he sucked in his false pride and asked me again about it. I told him that something was pbly shorting the elec and burning out the sol. I said I would take a look at it and get it back in a week or so (i'm not a pro, but handy). That wasn't good enough he wanted it back sooner 'cause grass was growin' So he had me haul it to Weingartz Equip.. When asked, I told him not to put in over $200 'cause they're going for 'bout $600 on CL. Weingartz gladly fixed the short.... and put in all new pulleys, belts, rebuilt the flippin carb, ect. and gave it back to him THREE weeks later, in perfect cond., .... with a bill of $1013. It was all I could do to keep from LMF(at)AO when he told me his woeful tale and amazingly somehow blamed Weingartz for overcharging.

THEN........ two weeks afterwards, the frt spindle finally goes, and he wants me to take a look at it. Bef I could get over there, runs out and buys a brand new low end Cub (sush....MTD built, LOL) for $1400 in disgust. I told him I could replace the frt axle (which inc the spindles) subtract the axle cost (~$180) and split the sales profit on CL.....or he could return the CUB, which still hadn't been picked up and use his Scotts, which would by now, be virtually restored.

NOPE, he gave it away, couldn't bear to look at it anymore (LMFAO...again) Moral to the story........Use your flippin' brain!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Last edited: