New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
Those same links now show the price at $10.35 -- immensely more reasonable in price. For that price, I'd replace them every year and maybe just get them sharpened once/year.

Actually, the prices came down about 4 months ago. See post #93.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
has anyone received a hat or other promo item yet? I thought they were gonna send some gear out to their customers?

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, to respond to the recent question -- no, I've gotten no "gimmies" from Greenworks either.

?..
REGARDING THE BATTERIES, we noted that after 20 minutes of mowing those ditches we were able to get 2 out of 4 lights to light up on the larger battery's indicator. I would crudely figure that put the usage at 50% of this new battery mowing tall grass and weeds. We haven't had the need to use the lower capacity battery yet. After reading way more than enough at Battery University about lithiums, I'll withhold judgement as to what that even means but will post ASAP if we experience any disappointing results. I do plan on buying another large capacity battery as our lawn is about 1/3 acre and we don't want to have to do it in two sessions. (First we'll see if we can get the whole thing done in one shot with the 2 batteries that come with the unit when the grass is normal length.)

Stay tuned for more details (if we ever get rain). I'll also post on our experience mulching up leaves when they start getting thick and heavy in the coming months. I would venture to say that we will likely never attempt to mow/mulch in conditions as wet as we have in the past with our Toro. Though these occasions were rare, I just don't think the design of the Greenworks would be suited for those situations.

Second, I was being WAY too optimistic about those batteries. I posted this statement regarding less than desirable battery run times on the Greenworks Facebook page earlier this month.

"At this point, I'm thinking of buying one of the reconditioned ones [20" Twin Force] that are available on the web for around $312. I'd have my 2 extra batteries and another charger, an extra set of blades for when I bring in the other to get sharpened, and any other replacement parts I'll be needing in the future -- all shipped for only $6 and no tax (as I had to pay when I bought our new one from Lowes)."

I generally get from 13-15 minutes of run time from that smaller battery. Hardly worth leaning over, putting it in, turning it on, and doing what seems like less than 10% of my lawn before I have to be leaning over again followed by another trip to the charger. I can deal with the 25-35 minutes I get on the larger battery but I'd apparently have to pay as much or more for additional batteries as I paid for the original mower to do my lawn in one "push." This is so because the mower is narrower than my original Toro recycler and I generally have to go a bit slower in order to not make the Twin Force kick into high RPM mode AND so that it cuts effectively (since the blades have become rather dull after only three mowings). I signed up for email special offers on CPO Outlets and hope to get some $$ off of one of the reconditioned units they're selling for $312 (Free shipping now!). I'll wait for a deal before I pull the trigger. I hope having 2 chargers with 4 batteries will get our 13,000 sq.ft. mowed in one shot.

Third, if you check out Greenworks' reply to my first posting on that FB page in the link above, you'll note they respond that the comblike teeth on the bottom of the mower are not that essential to the effectiveness of the mower. My experience in cutting tall grass, mowing and mulching on the various settings (recently on the lowest), in damp as well as dry conditions, causes me to agree with their response. This is a good thing since 3/4 or more of those teeth are now broken off in my mower.

I figure another couple weeks of leaf fall up here in central WI and I can put the Twin Force in the basement for good. Then we can start putting gas in the snowblower.:eek:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
First, to respond to the recent question -- no, I've gotten no "gimmies" from Greenworks either.

Second, I was being WAY too optimistic about those batteries. I posted this statement regarding less than desirable battery run times on the Greenworks Facebook page earlier this month.

"At this point, I'm thinking of buying one of the reconditioned ones [20" Twin Force] that are available on the web for around $312. I'd have my 2 extra batteries and another charger, an extra set of blades for when I bring in the other to get sharpened, and any other replacement parts I'll be needing in the future -- all shipped for only $6 and no tax (as I had to pay when I bought our new one from Lowes)."

I generally get from 13-15 minutes of run time from that smaller battery. Hardly worth leaning over, putting it in, turning it on, and doing what seems like less than 10% of my lawn before I have to be leaning over again followed by another trip to the charger. I can deal with the 25-35 minutes I get on the larger battery but I'd apparently have to pay as much or more for additional batteries as I paid for the original mower to do my lawn in one "push." This is so because the mower is narrower than my original Toro recycler and I generally have to go a bit slower in order to not make the Twin Force kick into high RPM mode AND so that it cuts effectively (since the blades have become rather dull after only three mowings). I signed up for email special offers on CPO Outlets and hope to get some $$ off of one of the reconditioned units they're selling for $312 (Free shipping now!). I'll wait for a deal before I pull the trigger. I hope having 2 chargers with 4 batteries will get our 13,000 sq.ft. mowed in one shot.

Third, if you check out Greenworks' reply to my first posting on that FB page in the link above, you'll note they respond that the comblike teeth on the bottom of the mower are not that essential to the effectiveness of the mower. My experience in cutting tall grass, mowing and mulching on the various settings (recently on the lowest), in damp as well as dry conditions, causes me to agree with their response. This is a good thing since 3/4 or more of those teeth are now broken off in my mower.

I figure another couple weeks of leaf fall up here in central WI and I can put the Twin Force in the basement for good. Then we can start putting gas in the snowblower.:eek:

thanx for posting - too bad about the batteries, but the news about the comb teeth seems to jibe with my experience. i MAY have 2-3 extra stragglers standing proud after I mow (all but 2-3 of the teeth are gone on the 'forward' section), but not a deal breaker.

BrandonG

Threads
Just wondering if there's any new info on this.

I have been seriously considering using the Twin Force or the 19" 3 in 1 (Both G-Max) for commercial purposes.

I'd need to be able to do 2 acres every day. This is 8 x 1/4 acres.

I'd need the 4Ah battery to last at least 45 minutes. I would need to have to use no more than 8 batteries, so I'm really hoping that under normal conditions, one of these mowers is going to be able to cut 1/4 acre on a single battery.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on how long these Li-Ion batteries last, and I suppose a lot has to do with mowing conditions, but I'm really trying to get an average based on normal conditions with normally functioning batteries.

Also, Texan mentioned he/she was going to review the Hedge Trimmer from GW - how did that work out for you??

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to bring up an old thread but this is exactly what I was looking to read. Hoping for more info :tongue:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Just wondering if there's any new info on this.

I have been seriously considering using the Twin Force or the 19" 3 in 1 (Both G-Max) for commercial purposes.

I'd need to be able to do 2 acres every day. This is 8 x 1/4 acres.

I'd need the 4Ah battery to last at least 45 minutes. I would need to have to use no more than 8 batteries, so I'm really hoping that under normal conditions, one of these mowers is going to be able to cut 1/4 acre on a single battery.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on how long these Li-Ion batteries last, and I suppose a lot has to do with mowing conditions, but I'm really trying to get an average based on normal conditions with normally functioning batteries.

Also, Texan mentioned he/she was going to review the Hedge Trimmer from GW - how did that work out for you??

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to bring up an old thread but this is exactly what I was looking to read. Hoping for more info :tongue:

I would think the cutting width would be the deal breaker for commercial use but, it all relates to time anyway. I think some folks are just getting bad batteries as well.

The hedge trimmer is nothing special. It works, positive side? it has a long blade. negative? to me, it seems to reciprocate slowly. I had to get a replacement - so, maybe the quality control is suffering? The first just hung-up and started smoking. But, no problem getting a replacement from Amazon and the new one worked fine.

BrandonG

Threads
You'd think that if they were serious about becoming a large company, that they would go to their supplier in China and say "Hey, look, we need our product to be a better quality or we're BOTH gonna lose business!"

Seems like the quality control is lacking, and with China it's mostly either hit or miss with a lot of products, especially innovative techs like this.

MowerMike

Threads

BrandonG

Threads
Hmm.

Are you sure the blade are going to fit? Seems that they would make them slightly different for this reason.

I did find the blades on sale on some obscure website...lemme see if I can find it.

Greenworks Replacement Blade for Model 25302 (Standard Rotation) Part #33307486

They have both sides - one that spins clockwise and the other than spins counter-clockwise.

Also, I notice Lowes is selling the Twin Force (Under their Kobalt brand) for $40 more. You still get the 4ah and 2ah batteries, same as GreenWorks.

But they don't have replacement batteries listed for sale on their site.