New engine... Won't start

Bdiddy11

Forum Newbie
Model 31r907 0006 g1.

Brand new engine i bought to replace a dead Kohler on my walk behind mower. I have it all installed, pulleys and belts all adjusted and on the crankshaft. Gravity feed fuel line good to go with the fuel shut off valve turned on, gas down in the carb... And it won't crank over. It tries, but never fully turns over. It's been quite frustrating since its a brand new engine. I'm not sure if I'm missing a step or what. I'm going to pick up a spark plug tester to make sure its getting spark. My brother in-law suggested it might either be the spark or carb...

Any thoughts? Am i missing something? B&S help line was no help as they dont have any technical help, but instead refer you to a local mechanic.
 
You are saying it won't turn over. That wouldn't have anything to do with spark or fuel. It would have more to do with electrical unless the new engine is tight. Just my guess is you have something not hooked up right, poor ground, bad connection????
 
It has both electric and recoil start, part of the reason i got this one...

I did go out and out some gas into the spark plug hole, it finally started for about two seconds with some white smoke from the muffler.

Does this mean im looking at a carb issue? I wouldn't expect issues from a brand new engine thats never been run :(
 
My question would be does the engine have a fuel solenoid on the carb. Does it have 12v to it when you are trying to run the engine.
 
From what i understand from the B&S website is that the solenoid there is an anti-after fire solenoid and it has wires connected to the solenoid which go to the engine body in two spots.

It has the ability for electric start, but i dont know why it would need to be connected if it has recoil start as well.

So far it only fires up with some gas in the spark lug hole for a second or two.
 
From what i understand from the B&S website is that the solenoid there is an anti-after fire solenoid and it has wires connected to the solenoid which go to the engine body in two spots. It has the ability for electric start, but i dont know why it would need to be connected if it has recoil start as well. So far it only fires up with some gas in the spark lug hole for a second or two.

The anti backfire solenoid needs 12volts to open and let gas into the engine.

You can remove it and cut off the plunger.
 
I talked to the engine place that sold it to me, he was super helpful. Basically said what you are saying, gotta run power to it or replace it with a manual one.

What do you mean by cutting off the plunger?

I'm trying to find a solution to this asap so i can use my mower again...
 
Back
Top