New engine for Husky YTH20K46

chouseal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've just acquired a Husky YTH20K46, circa 2009. Overall the mower is in pretty good shape but the previous owner says the Kohler Courage 20 (SV-600) motor is blown. I haven't yet tried to crank it myself, but assuming it really is toast I'd like to replace it with something a grade or two better than the Courage series.

Any suggestions for what engine makes/models will fit with relatively little modification? Higher-end Kohler, B&S, perhaps even a Honda?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've just acquired a Husky YTH20K46, circa 2009. Overall the mower is in pretty good shape but the previous owner says the Kohler Courage 20 (SV-600) motor is blown. I haven't yet tried to crank it myself, but assuming it really is toast I'd like to replace it with something a grade or two better than the Courage series.

Any suggestions for what engine makes/models will fit with relatively little modification? Higher-end Kohler, B&S, perhaps even a Honda?

My next-door-neighbor has a Husqvarna lawn tractor with a Kawasaki FR series engine in it. That's what I'd recommend. Not sure what model Husky he has or the specifics on the engine, but a nearby Husqvarna dealer could probably help you match up a Kawa to yours. Kawasaki's are considered the most reliable, durable small engine on the market right one.

P.S.

The Husqvarna website shows the YTH18K46 with a Kawasaki FH641V engine on it. That would most likely fit yours!!

P.S.S.

Here's a link(just click on the engie for a close-up picture):

Husqvarna YTH18K46 - Garden tractors

chouseal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those Kawasakis look nice, but are a bit pricey. If I was going to spend that much I'd go with a Honda. After looking around I've had to bring my expectations back down to earth, unfortunately.

At this point the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not going with another Kohler Courage. Been reading too many fail stories. I'm leaning towards a Briggs & Stratton Intek I/C.

Has anyone else attempted this swap? Supposedly the mounting holes and shaft are the same specs, but I'll have to do a little modification for the muffler, throttle cable and wiring. The wiring is what I'm most curious about.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest that you research equipatron.com for Briggs Professional Turf Series engines rather than Intek or ELS models. You do need to know the crankshaft diameter and length of the Kohler before you search for a repower engine. Should you decide on a Briggs engine, you will also need a muffler and other minor items to do the repower. There will be some electrical changes needed and you will need a wiring diagram for your machine. Repower engines come with the manufacturers type engine electrical harness and connector plug, which generally do not connect to other manufacturers connectors.
If your Kohler has a starter mounted solenoid and you repower with an engine that uses a remote starter relay, then you will need to install one and wire it correctly.

Last edited:

chouseal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input, Mackie. I'll check out Equipatron. The muffler is no problem and the Kohler uses a remote starter solenoid. The Husqvarna owner's manual I downloaded has a complete wiring diagram, so as long as I can figure out the equivalents on the Briggs engine side I should be able to hook everything up even if I can't use the factory connectors.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should you decide on a Briggs Professional Turf Series engine, bear several things in mind: One, the Pro Turf series is a major rework of the Intek/ELS series addressing the downfalls of the Intek/ELS models. Two, the increase in the size of the blower housing makes the height of the engine higher by about 2" and the Cyclonic Air Filtration System adds about 4" to that. Most ZTRs have no problem with the extra height of the engine.
I repowered my Scag Tiger Cub from a 26 Briggs Intek/ELS series to a 30 Pro Turf engine in March 2013, nice engine, now with about 115 hours.
As new engines are produced some design changes are made. The throw for both the throttle and choke were less than the original engine, about 2/3rds of original. What I did while adjusting the cables was to set the choke at full open with the lever at full open and full choke is about 2/3rds on the lever travel. On the throttle, I adjusted it basically the same, but installed a stop plate across the throttle lever travel slot where full throttle was and this stops the lever without stressing the control cable. As time goes on, the machine manufacturers will make production changes to the control panels of their machines to accommodate the differences.

OldHusqy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I, too, have a 2009 YTH20K46. I never had a major issue with it for 14 years, when it suddenly started smoking like an old-fashion mosquito fogger truck. Knowing all the common problems with the Courage series and having had to fix a couple of them, I was hoping to get a few more years out of the engine. I'm now thinking it might well be cheaper and more reliable to replace the engine with another brand like has been discussed, and possibly a twin-cylinder for smoother running. Does the Turf Pro series have anything 20 hp or slightly more that would fit with reasonable mods??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before purchasing anything new I would get a leak down tester and find the cause of the problem. Many of the auto parts store have free loaner programs. I suspect you have a blown head gasket.