New Deere D100 Won't Start

Teksc234

Threads
Used the tractor for the first time last weekend. No obvious problems. Used it to pick up leaves in the yard w/ catcher.

This weekend it will not start. Turns over but will not crank. Already checked fuse. Looks fine. Charging battery now. Running out of ideas. I've seen other posts but no one has indicated if they solved the problem.

Any ideas?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It must be a almost new tractor.. Of course the first thing to check is it out of fuel? The next thing I would check is see if any wires came off like to the carburetor solenoid. If that is all good maybe try a new spark plug. If nothing else it maybe is still in warranty.

Teksc234

Threads
Thanks. Had a half tank of gas and filled it about an hour ago. I'll check wires in the AM. I will keep posted and include the solution/conclusion.

Teksc234

Threads
I used a battery charger to make sure the battery was fully charged. Just got a green light from the charger. Still no start. I'll check wires and replace spark plug tomorrow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

Spray anything flammable into the carb...(WD40, Ether, carb cleaner or Gasoline) if it starts and runs on any of those you will know your problem is fuel related... KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are the one that has to get this mower running this is what you will have to do. Fuel, spark, compression, and timing you have this and it will run. You say you have fuel but is it going into the engine? Are you getting a good spark? Has the engine got good compression? Timing maybe you hit something and striped the flywheel key? Your first job will see what of the four things are missing to make it run and then fix that problem.

Teksc234

Threads
UPDATED:

1. I've looked over everything and do not see any loose wires. Disconnected some of them and reconnected.Still no start.

2. I don't have the right socket for removing the spark plug so I'll have to tackle that later today. The spark plug is going to be a bit hard to get to. Thanks to Briggs and Stratton on that one. How common is it that a brand new riding lawn mower has a bad spark plug?

3. Would the engine make any kind of distinct sound if the flywheel and/or fw key has an issue?

4. How common is it for the the anti-afterfire solenoid to be a problem on a new tractor? If the solenoid is a problem, would the engine turn over at all.

5. If the flywheel and/or flywheel key were damaged would the tractor turn over but not start? Last time I used the tractor everything worked find. I used it to get up a lot of leaves. I drove the tractor in the garage when I was done. Absolutely no indication there was a problem. However, the smell of fuel was pretty strong. Still, no indication there was a gas leak other that the smell.

Appreciate the responses. When I resolve the issue I will post the solution. I'm finding plenty of posts online regarding this problem but people rarely post if/how they fixed their tractor.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

Spray anything flammable into the carb...(WD40, Ether, carb cleaner or Gasoline) if it starts and runs on any of those you will know your problem is fuel related... KennyV

This is good advice and the place to start. The next would be the spark plug. Fuel, spark, compression, timing in that order. Take one step at a time starting small then work up to bigger things. The flywheel key would be one of the last things to think about because then you will have to start taking the engine apart to get to it. If you don't have a spark plug wrench it sound like you need a basic tool kit to get started.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I seems you bought a new John Deere D100 mower that won't run without any warranty. This is one of the reasons to buy from a good dealer. I don't know if you got any repair shops around by you or not but if you want give me a e-mail reynoldston@hotmail.com and want to do this yourself, I will try to walk you throught it.

Black Bart

Threads
I seems you bought a new John Deere D100 mower that won't run without any warranty. This is one of the reasons to buy from a good dealer. I don't know if you got any repair shops around by you or not but if you want give me a e-mail reynoldston@hotmail.com and want to do this yourself, I will try to walk you throught it.
If this is a new mower you don't have a problem your dealer does.
Don't matter if you bought it at a big box store it still has a factory warranty.
You may void the warranty messing with it call your local dealer.