New Coil No spark

Threads
You were told that because you never told us what engine you had.
Ok. Not sure what you mean. Did you see the post of my engine number. What would you recommend I try next. It’s a Kawa PA 420A

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you posted the engine numbers after I posted my recommendation. I don’t see where anyone told you to disconnect the kill wire, I sure didn’t.

Threads
Yes, you posted the engine numbers after I posted my recommendation. I don’t see where anyone told you to disconnect the kill wire, I sure didn’t.
Ok. I have tried it both ways and no spark. Do you know what else I should try?

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok,
I did some digging and the PA420A engine was fitted to the JD F510 mower
The PA420A engine is fitted with an external trigger module , called an Igniter for some stupid reason known only to Kawasaki

Now magneto ignitions theory 101
When a magnet approaches a coil it will generate a voltage in that coil.
then as the magnet departs in will generate another voltage with the opposite polarity
Depending upon which way the maget is fitted or the coil is would will determine if you get a posative pules first followed by a neagative one or visa versa
To make a spark you have to suddenly collapse a flux field within a coil by grounding it. at its highest voltage ( remember it is AC so it can be + or - volts ).
To prevent any spark being generated by the coil it gets grounded all the time.
Decades ago this was done with a set of points that grounded the primary winding plus a switch running in parallel with the points .
Points do not care weather they are working on the + pulse or the - pulse .
In 1966 a clever Hungarian immigrant living in OZ worked out he could replace the troublesome points with a solid state trigger using the rising voltage in the coil to cause the coil to ground at the right time.
This was called the Hall effect trigger and was marketed by them as the Atom ignition module. A stand alone solid state device that you simply replaced the points with.
However this device IS POLARITY SENSITIVE .
After patient had expired so they would not have to pay the 50¢ royalty every engine maker that had not already switched to solid state ignition did so by fitting their own module.
Then the engine makers realized that they could incorperate this trigger chip within the coil and charge a small fortune for them.

Now your engine originally had a stand alone trigger ( igniter ) module with a plain coil.
So to work it has to be used with a plain coil not a latter one with a module included .
I fear that your problem is you have non compatiable magneto parts or a dead igniter module that you are yet to locate

So follow the kill wire it should connect to the igniter module and it has to be there some where unless the coil has been upgraded to one with an inbuilt module.

You might find this Video form Taryl Fixes all helpful.
Note to work you have to install the coil upside down to get to polarity of the generated voltage correct for the module to work
Kawasaki igniter coil ignition modification.

Threads
Ok,
The PA420A engine is fitted with an external trigger module , called an Igniter for some stupid reason known only to Kawasaki

Now magneto ignitions theory 101
When a magnet approaches a coil it will generate a voltage in that coil.
then as the magnet departs in will generate another voltage with the opposite polarity
Depending upon which way the maget is fitted or the coil is would will determine if you get a posative pules first followed by a neagative one or visa versa
To make a spark you have to suddenly collapse a flux field within a coil by grounding it. at its highest voltage ( remember it is AC so it can be + or - volts ).
To prevent any spark being generated by the coil it gets grounded all the time.
Decades ago this was done with a set of points that grounded the primary winding plus a switch running in parallel with the points .
Points do not care weather they are working on the + pulse or the - pulse .
In 1966 a clever Hungarian immigrant living in OZ worked out he could replace the troublesome points with a solid state trigger using the rising voltage in the coil to cause the coil to ground at the right time.
This was called the Hall effect trigger and was marketed by them as the Atom ignition module. A stand alone solid state device that you simply replaced the points with.
However this device IS POLARITY SENSITIVE .
After patient had expired so they would not have to pay the 50¢ royalty every engine maker that had not already switched to solid state ignition did so by fitting their own module.
Then the engine makers realized that they could incorperate this trigger chip within the coil and charge a small fortune for them.

Now your engine originally had a stand alone trigger ( igniter ) module with a plain coil.
So to work it has to be used with a plain coil not a latter one with a module included .
I fear that your problem is you have non compatiable magneto parts or a dead igniter module that you are yet to locate

So follow the kill wire it should connect to the igniter module and it has to be there some where unless the coil has been upgraded to one with an inbuilt module.

You might find this Video form Taryl Fixes all helpful.
Note to work you have to install the coil upside down to get to polarity of the generated voltage correct for the module to work
Kawasaki igniter coil ignition modification.
Very interesting post. I was able to locate the little silver box and JD gave me the part Number to order a new one. Only $10.00. It would be fantastic if this finally solved my problem. You are very knowledgeable and I sure appreciate your insightful help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok,
think of the igniter as a ECU and the phaser as a trigger coil like was would be used on motorcycles and ATV's used with a normal powered coil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was a partner in a domestic courier business.
Atom industries were one of our customers.
I like to know who I work for & what they do.
made the job a lot more interesting than treating every customer job as a snatch & run.