Engine New Coil issue

milliswhitty

Forum Newbie
I have a new coil. It works. I used spark tester and light comes on but no spark. I used same tester on other engine and get light and spark. Why no spark on first example. Flywheel is clean and the coil is installed properly. Any ideas? Thanks Paul
 
It has a kill switch. Should this be hooked up first and then the cover put on to ground it? Why would tester light glow but no spark on plug. Thanks for your help. Gap is correct. Paul
 
witty, Coils are not simple. Full of stuff you cannot test. Glow probably means very low voltage. Spark is often discussed here, Try search tag.
 
The glow or light comes from the test light showing there is electricity generated by the magnet on the flywheel and that the magneto/coil is good. But there is no spark on plug. Plug is checked and is good. Magnet is good. There is continuity in the wire. I am at a loss. Any ideas or something I'm missing other than a spark? There is no other electronics on engine.
 
The Magnetron site shows a good cutaway of the Briggs style ignition coil at work. Once you see this it is clearer (?) that the old resistance checks of coil windings may not work to prove coil is working correctly.
 
Back
Top