New carb using excessive gas?

arch252

Threads
I have a friend who asked me to replace the carb on his pressure washer. It has a Briggs engine with carb #B1499059. I ordered an aftermarket carb at his request. It was an exact match. It does not have an air mixture screw. Put the new one on and it fired up and ran good. He sent me a message today and said it ran good but in under 4 hours he had to refill it 8 times, using waaay more gas than it did before. I've never heard of this. Seems like if it was using excessive gas it would be running rough. Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Externally it may have been an exact match, but I bet that internally it has larger jets, meaning consuming more fuel. The cheap carb will cost more in the long run.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Externally it may have been an exact match, but I bet that internally it has larger jets, meaning consuming more fuel. The cheap carb will cost more in the long run.
Sounds like it already did in just the first 8 fill ups.

arch252

Threads
I assumed a larger jet would be the only reason it could be using more fuel, but would it still be running smooth getting g that much gas in it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think George Peppard said it best, “Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together.”

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Has he checked the plug, probably very carbon fouled. Also, probably a lot of soot in the muffler or maybe fuel.

arch252

Threads
Yes, but would it not have been running very rough if it was that rich? He said it ran fine.

arch252

Threads
I'll plan to swap the main jet out tomorrow with the main jet from the original carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hope you can do that, as some nonOEM carbs use a different style of jet. You said that it did not have a fuel mixture screw, so I’m figuring they used a different style high speed jet. Hope I’m wrong.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, but would it not have been running very rough if it was that rich? He said it ran fine.

Yes.
Modern engines are jetted way too lean for the engine in order to get the exhaust emissions low
Thus they can run a lot richer before they become too rich .