New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.

jdunn618

Threads
  • / New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.
Well now we are getting some where.
Grab a can of carb cleaner , pull the air filter & get someone else to crank the engine while you squirt some VERY SHORT SHOTS of carb cleaner down the carb.
It should start and when it dose, as soon as the engine sounds like it is going to stop, give it another SHORT SHOT.
It will sound like the engine is going to blow up but it won't.
If you can keep it running for 30 sec or more then we have confirmed you have a fuel supply problem .
Some carbs draw fuel only through the main jet, with the idle jet take off after the main jet or just below the main jet take off in the fuel tube.
Others have an independent pilot jet fuel supply.
What I believe is happening is the solenoid has failed ( or the wiring to it ) so the engine gets enough fuel to fire at cranking speeds but not enough to run at idle speed .
As the shop fitted the carb I would hope it is a good one .
If the solenoid has a single wire to it check that the carb body has a good ground
If it has 2 wires check that the ground side of the wire is still connected to the engine .
Also check that the solenoid retracts fully when the key is in both the start & run positions
As the engine swap was a Courage to a Command then there should be no wiring problems other than a nut that was not tight or a ground strap on the carb omitted
My issue is that my carb has no solenoid 😅 I'll try that I appreciate you both. I'll keep you updated! Thank you

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / New Carb, ran great for 2 starts but now wont stay running more than 1/2 second- killed battery.
A 14hp with no solenoid, okay. Usually will have one.

1654108030187.png

jdunn618

Threads
Screenshot_20220601-154436_Amazon Shopping.jpg

jdunn618

Threads
No sir, it took me forever to figure out it wasn't the same engine as was made for the mower. But this is the one, starting fluid worked, I called the shop & they picked it up for a 3rd time lol. They said somehow its not getting fuel and will check for blocks I mean. I could do it but they should have done a more thorough check the last time. I appreciate everyones help, will update when they call me with the results lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent result , sort of keep us in the loop
Sounding very much like a bad carb
The golden rule when diagnosing any problem is suspect everything till proven otherwise .
So our assumption that the carb fitted by the dealer was good might come back to bite me on the bum

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
could have been a piece of rubber on the hose broke off replacing the carb and blocked something. Let everyone know when you get it back. Someone told me the other day they started washing out fuel line before using it on the suggestion of the guy who bench serviced their injectors (hose fed). I personally thought it would be another old wives tale but he did flush the new lines out and all sorts of rubber debris and also an oily substance that settled to the bottom of the jar he used to collect the fuel, without mixing with the fuel. Could even be something like that if they replaced fuel line.

jdunn618

Threads
could have been a piece of rubber on the hose broke off replacing the carb and blocked something. Let everyone know when you get it back. Someone told me the other day they started washing out fuel line before using it on the suggestion of the guy who bench serviced their injectors (hose fed). I personally thought it would be another old wives tale but he did flush the new lines out and all sorts of rubber debris and also an oily substance that settled to the bottom of the jar he used to collect the fuel, without mixing with the fuel. Could even be something like that if they replaced fuel line.
Didn't even think about that rubber could fray off into the inlet on the carb, but will definitely keep you guys posted & sgkent ya carb ran fine for about a day & ever since its not started so assuming its not receiving gas. Its getting gas to the filter just not engine😂 will keep you all updated

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the fuel hose AT the carb. Should have good flow. If this has a fuel pump, have a buddy crank it a bit. Should pulsate fuel out of the hose. Drain it into a glass jar to see if trash comes out.

jdunn618

Threads
Pull the fuel hose AT the carb. Should have good flow. If this has a fuel pump, have a buddy crank it a bit. Should pulsate fuel out of the hose. Drain it into a glass jar to see if trash comes out.
Its gravity fed, shop has the mower still, they think something did get gunked up somewhere, not sure where or how being As its getting fuel past the filter it appeared and the carb is brand new. We shall see though hopefully they call me back soon

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its gravity fed, shop has the mower still, they think something did get gunked up somewhere, not sure where or how being As its getting fuel past the filter it appeared and the carb is brand new. We shall see though hopefully they call me back soon
Chi-sneeze carb was brand new. In the mower world, Chinese carbs are a gamble if they work or not. Either clean and fix/repair the OEM Kroller or buy a new OEM Kroller carb.