Export thread

Never take their word

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

That the fuel is fresh from the pump.
20220529-173948.jpg

StarTech

StarTech

Hey several years ago I purchased 5 gallons from a local station. Fill my tiller tank and it ran for about 10 ft. I check the fuel bowl and it was full of water. Check the new gas and I had over a gallon of water in the can. Note the can was bone dry when I went to the station. Come to find several vehicles also quite with sight of the station. They had a major water problem.

Or the case a couple when a customer fill up his ZTR and it quit. Fuel was good just wasn't what the mower ran on. It was diesel fuel.

R

Rivets

In all my years I think I’ve seen just about every different flammable fuel in a small engine tank. Gas, diesel, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. About five years ago local station was found to have over 50% of their 87 Octane fuel to contain water. Had 25-50 lawsuits because vehicle shut down within one hour of filling up, including one of our delivery trucks. Was traced to their distributor who drained his tanker to complete the order. Real mess for all of us who used this station.

I

ILENGINE

In all my years I think I’ve seen just about every different flammable fuel in a small engine tank. Gas, diesel, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. About five years ago local station was found to have over 50% of their 87 Octane fuel to contain water. Had 25-50 lawsuits because vehicle shut down within one hour of filling up, including one of our delivery trucks. Was traced to their distributor who drained his tanker to complete the order. Real mess for all of us who used this station.
Had the same thing happen at a station in my area several years ago Around 20 vehicles involved and several that didn't even ,make it out of the gas station lot.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Had a guy bring in a chainsaw that won't start. He said he just put fresh fuel in it. I smelled the fuel and then dumped a bunch on the shop floor in front of him and it wouldn't light with a propane torch. Guy got a little defensive when i questioned his fresh fuel. I see crap fuel all the time in snowblowers, tillers, chainsaws and string trimmers. I have a constant supply of liquid for my parts washer.

H

hlw49

You forgot kerosene.

I

ILENGINE

Had a guy bring in a chainsaw that won't start. He said he just put fresh fuel in it. I smelled the fuel and then dumped a bunch on the shop floor in front of him and it wouldn't light with a propane torch. Guy got a little defensive when i questioned his fresh fuel. I see crap fuel all the time in snowblowers, tillers, chainsaws and string trimmers. I have a constant supply of liquid for my parts washer.
Or smells like gas but burns at the speed of kerosene.

You forgot kerosene.
Or moonshine........But that could likely increase performance..

I test my 100% gas once in a while.. Easy to do.. Get small vial w/cap, add 1 inch of water & mark that level, then add 3 parts gas. shake & let sit, ..
100% gas will not increase the water level above the 1" mark, if it does like pics, it is E-10 or more...

E-10 in gas.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So when I took the mower back to them, told him what was wrong with it, he goes "I probably out to keep the gas can in my shed, shouldn't i"? I said yes.. and asked where he kept it, "oh just outside anywhere"...............😬

StarTech

StarTech

So when I took the mower back to them, told him what was wrong with it, he goes "I probably out to keep the gas can in my shed, shouldn't i"? I said yes.. and asked where he kept it, "oh just outside anywhere"...............😬
And probably with a food cap on it and vent capped too.

I just finish up with a customer's chainsaw. It is one those $125 saws. First time fuel mixture setting were off. Next time water in the fuel. Completely clogged the carb. And last time trash plugging the fuel line. He gave up and left the saw. He going to buy a Stihl like that is going fix his poor fuel storage problem.

S

slomo

It's all about the brand names these days.

Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Must admit, that little light sucker wasn't bad. Definitely not for a tree service. Did what we needed to do and ready for more. Very easy to start too. LOL

C

catman606

A buddy of mine that was in the trucking business had his own storage tank. Well, the distributor brought him a load of fuel, but it was gas. A CAT engine locked up in his truck. If you're familiar with the price of Caterpillar parts, you can imagine how much it cost to replace his engine.

C

catman606

Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Must admit, that little light sucker wasn't bad. Definitely not for a tree service. Did what we needed to do and ready for more. Very easy to start too. LOL
Was that a battery powered saw? I need a pole saw to trim some tree's, been looking at the Harbor Freight ones.

R

Ranchito

Was that a battery powered saw? I need a pole saw to trim some tree's, been looking at the Harbor Freight ones.
I have used the HF battery pole saw and hedge trimmer for years with no problems. Both have plenty of reserve power to get the job done on a single charge. Far from commercial quality, but both work fine for a weekend warrior.

S

slomo

"Just used a cheap Harbor Freight electric chain saw last weekend. Is was a corded max amperage model.

Well, the distributor brought him a load of fuel, but it was gas. A CAT engine locked up in his truck. If you're familiar with the price of Caterpillar parts, you can imagine how much it cost to replace his engine.
Well sounds like a good case to sue the supplier for..

S

SamB

I test my 100% gas once in a while.. Easy to do.. Get small vial w/cap, add 1 inch of water & mark that level, then add 3 parts gas. shake & let sit, ..
100% gas will not increase the water level above the 1" mark, if it does like pics, it is E-10 or more...

View attachment 60711
I do that same test on the 'No ethanol added' fuel I buy at my local station that sells OPE fuel.

S

SamB

I have a Poulan Pro gas chain saw for any big jobs,but for some little stuff ,my 110v saw is what I grab. Works surprising well.

StarTech

StarTech

I really pissed off a local station several years ago when I tested the fuel at the pump. Tried to explain that it was a customer requirement of mine and I needed to just verify the fuel before putting it in the customer's equipment as I had gotten E10 fuel that was mistaken pump into the fuel tanks before. He was smoking hot.

A week later he personally came to my shop and apologized as he had contact his distributor and they said it is possible for the delivery driver to make a mistake as they carry both fuel types on the same tanker.

S

SamB

I really pissed off a local station several years ago when I tested the fuel at the pump. Tried to explain that it was a customer requirement of mine and I needed to just verify the fuel before putting it in the customer's equipment as I had gotten E10 fuel that was mistaken pump into the fuel tanks before. He was smoking hot.

A week later he personally came to my shop and apologized as he had contact his distributor and they said it is possible for the delivery driver to make a mistake as they carry both fuel types on the same tanker.
That was big of him and I'd bet, unexpected. In reality, he shouldn't mind, being that you're doing some testing FOR him.
He most likely has no idea what is being put in his tanks. It's ,as was said, the delivery driver that does the delivery, and even he may not be sure what he's hauling. Only real way to tell is to test the fuel!

H

Hal12

Had the dixon in at the shop for almost a month. I told the owner that it would run for awhile and then start missing.
Had put a new carb on. New spark plug and fuel filter...He said I might have water in the gas. Only thing I didn't
address trying to fix the problem. Called a few days ago to see what the holdup was. Was told there was 1 other
repair job in front of me. Wondering now if it isn't bad gas..though the snapper runs just fine. Hopefully I will know
at the end of the week.