Staff member
Threads
That the fuel is fresh from the pump.
20220529-173948.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hey several years ago I purchased 5 gallons from a local station. Fill my tiller tank and it ran for about 10 ft. I check the fuel bowl and it was full of water. Check the new gas and I had over a gallon of water in the can. Note the can was bone dry when I went to the station. Come to find several vehicles also quite with sight of the station. They had a major water problem.

Or the case a couple when a customer fill up his ZTR and it quit. Fuel was good just wasn't what the mower ran on. It was diesel fuel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In all my years I think I’ve seen just about every different flammable fuel in a small engine tank. Gas, diesel, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. About five years ago local station was found to have over 50% of their 87 Octane fuel to contain water. Had 25-50 lawsuits because vehicle shut down within one hour of filling up, including one of our delivery trucks. Was traced to their distributor who drained his tanker to complete the order. Real mess for all of us who used this station.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In all my years I think I’ve seen just about every different flammable fuel in a small engine tank. Gas, diesel, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. About five years ago local station was found to have over 50% of their 87 Octane fuel to contain water. Had 25-50 lawsuits because vehicle shut down within one hour of filling up, including one of our delivery trucks. Was traced to their distributor who drained his tanker to complete the order. Real mess for all of us who used this station.
Had the same thing happen at a station in my area several years ago Around 20 vehicles involved and several that didn't even ,make it out of the gas station lot.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a guy bring in a chainsaw that won't start. He said he just put fresh fuel in it. I smelled the fuel and then dumped a bunch on the shop floor in front of him and it wouldn't light with a propane torch. Guy got a little defensive when i questioned his fresh fuel. I see crap fuel all the time in snowblowers, tillers, chainsaws and string trimmers. I have a constant supply of liquid for my parts washer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had a guy bring in a chainsaw that won't start. He said he just put fresh fuel in it. I smelled the fuel and then dumped a bunch on the shop floor in front of him and it wouldn't light with a propane torch. Guy got a little defensive when i questioned his fresh fuel. I see crap fuel all the time in snowblowers, tillers, chainsaws and string trimmers. I have a constant supply of liquid for my parts washer.
Or smells like gas but burns at the speed of kerosene.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I test my 100% gas once in a while.. Easy to do.. Get small vial w/cap, add 1 inch of water & mark that level, then add 3 parts gas. shake & let sit, ..
100% gas will not increase the water level above the 1" mark, if it does like pics, it is E-10 or more...

E-10 in gas.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So when I took the mower back to them, told him what was wrong with it, he goes "I probably out to keep the gas can in my shed, shouldn't i"? I said yes.. and asked where he kept it, "oh just outside anywhere"...............😬