Neighbors taking tools

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
He's NOT a "good neighbor" or a "friend" if he will borrow without asking. If he can't understand that -- then "don't touch my stuff" !!!!

"I have my tools so that when I need them, I have them ! If anyone needs something, they should ASK before borrowing !!!!!

I'll usually go help and then bring the tools home. Drives me NUTZ when I can't find my tools. I have a set in the basement, garage, & shed. No matter what I'm doing I usually have to make a trip to one of the other places to get tools and then return them when I'm finished.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is nothing like video ... Ive been to court many times over what I have captured on video... It's very persuasive and imposable to defend against a video clip.. None of my video's were over theft... but it would work exactly the same if that's the route you chose to take...
There is nothing quite like first hand reproducible visual evidence... :smile:KennyV

How about you install some kind of explosive dye pack like banks use to identify robbers, the first time somebody borrows your tools and the pack goes off that will be the LAST time it happens....:biggrin:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
He's NOT a "good neighbor" or a "friend" if he will borrow without asking. If he can't understand that -- then "don't touch my stuff" !!!!

"I have my tools so that when I need them, I have them ! If anyone needs something, they should ASK before borrowing !!!!!

I'll usually go help and then bring the tools home. Drives me NUTZ when I can't find my tools. I have a set in the basement, garage, & shed. No matter what I'm doing I usually have to make a trip to one of the other places to get tools and then return them when I'm finished.

I'm the same way.
I politely explain to my neighbors that: I don't borrow tools so I don't loan them either... would like some help? Seems perfectly logical to me but I believe one of my neighbors was offended by it...he's the one I keep my eye on.
I have a hard enough time remembering where I decided to keep everything, When you have more than one person in and out of the shop or tool box it gets frustrating.
If the OP had dogs like mine none of this would be a concern.
Thats the best point in the dogs versus cat argument....but that's another thread. "which one are you, dog or cat person?".

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm the same way.
I politely explain to my neighbors that: I don't borrow tools so I don't loan them either... would like some help? Seems perfectly logical to me but I believe one of my neighbors was offended by it...he's the one I keep my eye on.
I have a hard enough time remembering where I decided to keep everything, When you have more than one person in and out of the shop or tool box it gets frustrating.
If the OP had dogs like mine none of this would be a concern.
Thats the best point in the dogs versus cat argument....but that's another thread. "which one are you, dog or cat person?".

I'm the one who started that thread...and take a look at the tabby in my avatar, he sleeps in the garage atop the cars, he may look friendly but if you walk into my garage by yourself you will think you were attacked by a rabid raccoon....:laughing::laughing:

173abn

Threads
Hey RobertBrown,what kind of dog you got on your avatar? russ

monica123

Threads
Did you ever confront the guy? I'm curious to hear what he said the reason he was taking them was, what excuse he gave. Update us when you can.

goodolboydws

Threads
Thanks, everyone for your advice. I asked him to come over for coffee tomorrow. He watches our home for us when we go on vacation and has helped me work on things that is how he knows where the tools are. I will be moving things and asking him for all of them back. I am sure he isn't selling them and think he probably plans on returning them when he takes them.

My first reaction to your situation betrays my large metro area origins. It was along the lines of " YOU may think he's a good friend, but obviously HE doesn't consider you one or he wouldn't do that." but it may well be that he considers you to a good enough friend that he wouldn't mind at all if you borrowed some of his tools without asking-even though you don't borrow his and wouldn't think about doing so without asking him for permission every time.

We moved to a rural county in East Tennessee about 14 years ago and it took some doing for us suspicious types to get used to how informal things can be out here in the sticks, and how some people even today can be so incredibly trusting-something that would be almost beyond belief in a big city setting. But what's equally important to remember is that if you once betray that trust, or cause hard feelings over a misunderstanding to fester, or continually take advantage of people by not at least offerring to reciprocate (even if they don't take you up on it) or are just plain "uppity" or very stand-offish it can be very hard to stay (or become) well thought of and well-integrated within the community of immediate neighbors.

In our situation, we live 20 miles from the nearest small town, in a sparsely populated area, so the majority of the neighbors are from families that have lived here for generations and were naturally well-acquainted with and connected to their neighbors-out of necessity, if not necessarily by blood.

We've met people here, ones with far fewer resources than we have, who have no compunction against inviting complete strangers into their homes for dinner after talking with them for only a few minutes, and who would give you the shirt off their backs along with every cent they had in their pockets-without even having to ask-if they knew or even felt that you needed it.

I've offered time and time again to loan tools and help neighbors with building and vehicle-related repairs, etc., but especially at first it much less frequently went to that extent and more often than not it was me who was asking for advice or their help-to get a stuck tractor out or to help fell a dangerously-positioned tree, or (like you) to watch our house and feed our pets when my wife was in the hospital for weeks and I stayed with her.

In the past several years I've been able (or been allowed to help more often), with things ranging as widely as tillage, welding, car and home repairs, stray animal transport to the shelter, sharing plants and vegetables that we grow, picking up groceries for neighbors when I'm going to town anyway, etc.

I hope that your coffee and talk with the neighbor cleared things up for you, that it was just a miscommunication issue with no evil intent, and that you're still on good terms with the neighbor.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't get me wrong - I would still want to be on good terms with the neighbors - I just want to know where my tools are and that they will come back in good shape.

I'd rather help and bring my tools home than loan them out.

Came from a small town - lived 30 years in suburb - now back to a small town --- much prefer small town life ! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

yardiron

Threads
I had a similar problem at a shop I worked at years ago, if you left anything out in plain view it was gone overnight. If you left new parts out or forgot to lock up any tools, they were gone by morning. Management would do nothing. We solved the issue by putting a huge leg hold trap under a cover with shiny Snap On ratchet as bait. The next day the trap was sprung, the ratchet was on the floor, and the cleaning guy didn't show up for work again. The thefts stopped after that.

I'd probably tell your neighbor that you noticed some things missing lately and give him the chance to 'fes up but if he don't, then tell him that the camera caught someone on tape and the police are working on IDing the person and once they do they plan to make an arrest. Sometimes its just fun to watch someone like that squirm a bit.
A real friend or good neighbor wouldn't help himself without permission, ever.
If he'd help himself to your tools, do you trust him around your family?

SouthCentral

Threads
Wow, people these days have no respect for personal property. Where I grew up it's called stealing and you go to jail for it. Kind of puts you in a bad position because you've got to protect your belongings but also want to be a good neighbor I assume. I sure am glad I have good neighbors. I wouldn't mind loaning my tools to them but if they just helped themselves then I'd let them know in no uncertain terms that they needed to ask before going into my shed and taking things. Tell them the Home Depot rental center is just a few miles away. :laughing: