Negabattery posttive sparking while installing new battery

shankwade

Forum Newbie
Please advise while installing new battery I'm getting heavy sparking, it melted my first post had to replace HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP
 
I would start by checking the wires from the positive battery post to the starter solenoid. You have a bad short some place, and I don't think it is too far down the system, because the smaller wires would let the smoke out. You aren't hooking the battery up backwards are you. Reverse polarity can do some weird things also.
 
You may have been sold the wrong battery. There are right and left hand positive batteries and if you were sold the wrong one and hooked the cables up so they would reach without identifying + and - positions the end result is causing your problem.
 
Seeing we are making guesses, how about a burned up stator? I have seen mowers that has come into my shop that someone has installed the battery wrong. Yes it dose weird things but I have never seen it burn a battery post off. This has to have a major short in it like maybe a cut positive battery cable hitting the frame.
 
I have seen a stator shorted to ground, in combination with the half wave rectifier/regulator on a Kohler cause serious issued, but I will bet if that is what it is, you have also let the smoke out of the wires going to the regulator.
 
Seeing we are making guesses, how about a burned up stator? I have seen mowers that has come into my shop that someone has installed the battery wrong. Yes it dose weird things but I have never seen it burn a battery post off. This has to have a major short in it like maybe a cut positive battery cable hitting the frame.

Being this site seems to be mostly a guessing game because of a lack of OP response I think it's fun.

Have you ever heard of a truck dieing when only turning a left corner? Bad battery.:laughing:

Ever heard of one that couldn't be jump started now but a minute later could but possibly not a minute after that? Bad battery.:laughing:
 
Back
Top