Needing help on a price

KillRbee18

Threads
I am hoping that one of you guys or gals can help me out by suggesting a price to sell my riding lawn mower. I have a 1989-1991 Craftsman. The number is 917.254611. It’s a 12 hp 5 speed 38” cut lawn mower. The motor is a Tecumseh brand. Believe it or not, I still use it to cut my grass. Although, the brakes work little to none and the starter is starting to act up. As for the deck it is in good shape. The body itself is decent. I have always changed the oil, the belts, and even the blades. Just this last year, I finally took off the carburetor and overhauled it. If you were selling it how much would you be asking? I can send more pictures as I get them.

Attachments

• C803E4FF-6543-46DF-8174-497E15F335CE.jpeg
    C803E4FF-6543-46DF-8174-497E15F335CE.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 20

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you itemize your taxes, you can donate the mower to a charity and deduct that amount from your income. They typically are pretty generous on the declared value.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trade in value is about $50-$75, so you have to realize that if you can get enough to pay for a good night out for you and the better half, jump on it.

upupandaway

Threads
Rivets' quote reflects my experience. Being Sears is like Levi's vs Gucci jeans - most everyone buys them for utilitarian reason where people buy a "green mower" at least partially for its name.

There was a shop where i lived in Chi that had a row of sears riders to be scrapped. I talked to the owner and he said if it was green, he could repair\resell it, sears wasn't worth it to him. Yours has everything the same as mine except for the hood. I know- I had 1 of each and i got 1 of them from that shop for $50 complete just needed a valve ground down.

Good luck at getting 100. If u can get more, power to you.
I got 225 for selling the 12hp IC briggs motor off a murray rider via ebay. Given the motor was in pristine condition.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mower King

Threads
One draw back is......Tecumseh went out of business a few years ago, there are a few aftermarket products but, they are limited.

dougand3

Threads
If starter and brakes fixed, I'd shoot for $300...touting the Peerless 920 geared transaxle. I'd rather have your LT than anything outside Lowes/HD/Wally. But I like geared trannys.

keakar

Threads
I am hoping that one of you guys or gals can help me out by suggesting a price to sell my riding lawn mower. I have a 1989-1991 Craftsman. The number is 917.254611. It’s a 12 hp 5 speed 38” cut lawn mower. The motor is a Tecumseh brand. Believe it or not, I still use it to cut my grass. Although, the brakes work little to none and the starter is starting to act up. As for the deck it is in good shape. The body itself is decent. I have always changed the oil, the belts, and even the blades. Just this last year, I finally took off the carburetor and overhauled it. If you were selling it how much would you be asking? I can send more pictures as I get them.
i flip mowers for a hobby and to be honest i would ask $300 for that and be happy to get $250 and feel guilty getting that for a 31 yr old mower, but thats after i sharpened the blades and changed the oil because that makes a huge difference with buyers knowing they dont need to do anything with it after buying it.

the brakes have an adjustment and the pins that press on the brake pads get stuck with rust so that should be an easy fix (youtube has videos on it) because they will not want something without brakes and the starter issue is probably just the valves need adjusting (youtube has videos on it)