Need Solutions! Have a rider and hate going back to trim!

redwagons

Forum Newbie
Hey,

So, I am looking for some suggestions and ideas! I own about 3 acres and use a rider to mow my lawn, but I have a ton of trees, shrubs, rocks, a fence that I have mow around or can't get with the rider. So I have to go back and use a finish mower and trim! It takes up so much time and there has to be a better way to do this, I am looking for any and all suggestions to make this process much easier and quicker!

Thanks for the help!
 
well im not sure you will get rid of trimming 100% but a nice ZTR would help out alot if you dont already have one it will cut down on triming and will cut down on mowing time also
 
I agree 110% with Scott... Zero turn mowers will mow your lawn in the fastest time, and you can pretty much get them in every nook and cranny that you can find. They are going to cost more, probably twice as much, but they will cut your mowing time in half easily.

A_tank
 
I agree 110% with Scott... Zero turn mowers will mow your lawn in the fastest time, and you can pretty much get them in every nook and cranny that you can find. They are going to cost more, probably twice as much, but they will cut your mowing time in half easily.

A_tank

Roundup is your friend as well. You can trim it all where it looks nice and then apply Roundup or one of the generics of it and only have to do that a couple of times a Summer. Depending on where you live possibly once a summer. That is a great option. It is a systemic therefore it only kills what you put it on. Trimming first means that there is nothing tall that is dead and stands out unsightly.
 
The zero turn will save time on the mowing job but is not going to do much for you around a fence and rocks over a rider. You are still going to have push mowing to do. Roundup is fine to make an edge around things but the dead spots fill in with weeds. I have the same situation and just use my push mower to do part of it.
 
Employ a kid.
Get rid of the grass in the areas you can't get your mower to. Cover those areas with stones, wood chips, flowers, etc.
 
well im not sure you will get rid of trimming 100% but a nice ZTR would help out alot if you dont already have one it will cut down on triming and will cut down on mowing time also

dito.gif I agree! A zero turn is the way to go! Cub Cadet Z-Force 2.jpg

Cub Cadet, Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Ferris, Grasshopper, Gravely, Husqvarna, Hustler, Kubota, Scag, Toro........
 
The zero turn will save time on the mowing job but is not going to do much for you around a fence and rocks over a rider. You are still going to have push mowing to do. Roundup is fine to make an edge around things but the dead spots fill in with weeds. I have the same situation and just use my push mower to do part of it.

Normally you can kill it down about twice a Summer and the weeds won't take it. If you keep it killed long enough nothing will be there. Of course the grass will try to spread back into it but it is much easier to spray Roundup than run a trimmer or push mower.
 
I fumbling around on the internet to see if I could find something and I came across this unit from Peco. Its seem like a really sweet idea, but I have no idea how good it is. What do you guys think?

Z-Trimmer (ZT-3000) | PECO

I would like to see one work. Personally I think it would take a slow ground speed and around fences I still believe that the string would not hold up well. Also unless it is under things the Zero turn will cut pretty much as close as well.
 
Back
Top