Need Outdoor Security Cameras

RayMcD

Threads
Hi, I'm from Mississauga. Already have a good security system in my house. With the motion sensor, CO sensor, smoke detector, a smart lock, cameras inside the house and live monitoring facility. It's been two years and the system is working very well.

But now I'm thinking about upgrading my home security system. I don't wanna change the existing system. Though I would like to add something more. Mainly I need some outdoor security cameras, Something with night vision will be good. Moreover, one problem with my existing security system is we can't watch the feeds later. So I need a cloud storage facility too.

The home security systems company I'm hiring now also provides security cameras. So I'm going to call them. But before, Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.
Walter, have you looked at Ring, for $12 a month or $100 a year, they provide you with play back recordings, the night picture quality is great. The other thing I really like, for a long a you keep your contact in place, if any of your devices fail they are replaced 100% no cost., Cheers, Ray

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I'm from Mississauga. Already have a good security system in my house. With the motion sensor, CO sensor, smoke detector, a smart lock, cameras inside the house and live monitoring facility. It's been two years and the system is working very well.

But now I'm thinking about upgrading my home security system. I don't wanna change the existing system. Though I would like to add something more. Mainly I need some outdoor security cameras, Something with night vision will be good. Moreover, one problem with my existing security system is we can't watch the feeds later. So I need a cloud storage facility too.

The home security systems company I'm hiring now also provides security cameras. So I'm going to call them. But before, Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Man, if I had to have all that security, I'd simply move to a saver place.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would be amazed how many people get cameras and a security system AFTER they get robbed. I have a client right now that i am installing cameras on their farm because they had a pickup truck stolen. I have an 8 camera system and security on the barn and shop . So far so good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You would be amazed how many people get cameras and a security system AFTER they get robbed. I have a client right now that i am installing cameras on their farm because they had a pickup truck stolen. I have an 8 camera system and security on the barn and shop . So far so good.
That is because the insurance company jacks up their premiums unless they increase their security

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Walter, have you looked at Ring, for $12 a month or $100 a year, they provide you with play back recordings, the night picture quality is great. The other thing I really like, for a long a you keep your contact in place, if any of your devices fail they are replaced 100% no cost., Cheers, Ray
Rings are state fair garbage. Meaning the cameras which is what you want it for are terrible. Most doorbells are in a shaded spot. What is out there in the yard? The full blown sun. Long story short, Ring ding cameras have terrible dynamic range. Meaning a persons face will be black with no detail because the iris is stopped down to deal with the sun. Look at sample videos for yourself.

Stick with Hikvision and Dahua IP cameras. Look for wide dynamic range at 130-140db range. Also Night Color models are awesome. 4mp and higher if you can. Remember, you can always add more cameras as you go. Don't need some full blown compromised package system right off the bat.

Also most people install them at the wrong height. Best camera height is at a normal human face/eye level. Not high up in a corner doing what I call the Indian scalp shot. People/thugs wear ball caps and such to hide their face. Put the camera right in their face. If they try to tear the camera down, too late. Got them on video AND audio. You can always add more screws and adhesives to some marine grade plywood LOL.

Cheap used Intel I7 computer, Blue Iris software and a quad or larger POE+ power inserter block.

Most people have an old cpu in the closet. Blue Iris is $69.00. POE gear under $75'ish. Cameras are roughly $155.00'ish each range.

Get good gear from the start. So you can actually SEE and HEAR what happened at the ranch. Think I put a couple of these up at work the other day. Looks like similar specs.

1658198071911.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is because the insurance company jacks up their premiums unless they increase their security
They don't increase the premiums for a burglary but they do give a discount if you have a commercially monitored security system and a bigger discount if you also have commercial grade, not a ring doorbell, surveillance system. Many times the discount will come close to paying for the cost of the security system but not the surveillance system.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rings are state fair garbage. Meaning the cameras which is what you want it for are terrible. Most doorbells are in a shaded spot. What is out there in the yard? The full blown sun. Long story short, Ring ding cameras have terrible dynamic range. Meaning a persons face will be black with no detail because the iris is stopped down to deal with the sun. Look at sample videos for yourself.

Stick with Hikvision and Dahua IP cameras. Look for wide dynamic range at 130-140db range. Also Night Color models are awesome. 4mp and higher if you can. Remember, you can always add more cameras as you go. Don't need some full blown compromised package system right off the bat.

Also most people install them at the wrong height. Best camera height is at a normal human face/eye level. Not high up in a corner doing what I call the Indian scalp shot. People/thugs wear ball caps and such to hide their face. Put the camera right in their face. If they try to tear the camera down, too late. Got them on video AND audio. You can always add more screws and adhesives to some marine grade plywood LOL.

Cheap used Intel I7 computer, Blue Iris software and a quad or larger POE+ power inserter block.

Most people have an old cpu in the closet. Blue Iris is $69.00. POE gear under $75'ish. Cameras are roughly $155.00'ish each range.

Get good gear from the start. So you can actually SEE and HEAR what happened at the ranch. Think I put a couple of these up at work the other day. Looks like similar specs.

View attachment 61611
The Blue Iris DIY is a nice setup if you are versed in things like ONVIF and setting up RTSP feeds and POE cameras and that you need CMX category cable for outdoor cameras. I only install stand alone IP camera systems with a dedicated NVR now. I even quit working on the older analog composite systems with the RS232 and RS485 control systems. They never have the installer documentation and i am too old to spend hours trying to reverse engineer them to work on them. Also be aware the most of the Hikvision and Dahua cameras can't be used in government installations due to the fact that China has built in vulnerabilities as directed by the government. Probably not an issue for a homeowner but the US government kinda takes a dim view of using cameras with built in hacks.

My favorite turret camera

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
in a lived in a high area for about 10 years, goy broken into 3 times, twice at one address
After the second break in which was done by smashing the single skin fibro wall with a sledge hammer the insurance insisted on deadlocks for the front & back doors .
I did point out that the kids / druggies who broke in stole nothing that could not be carried back the same way as they got in but they insisted on the locks or no insurance .
Two decades latter I was doing an emergency job for a customer because the very professional thieves had come along, drilled a hole in the internal partition wall then using a batterysabre saw cut the wall & door frame off around the high security lock.
A 3 floor walk up and the crooks had taken every piece of office equipment from every company in the building
And most of this was high teck computer film editing gear and animation gear
My client then moved to building with internal walls of concrete
Apparently is is still a problem when using those Hebel bricks where crooks just cut their own door through a side wall then sneak up & put hoods over the passive IR motion detectors .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Blue Iris DIY is a nice setup if you are versed in things like ONVIF and setting up RTSP feeds and POE cameras and that you need CMX category cable for outdoor cameras. I only install stand alone IP camera systems with a dedicated NVR now. I even quit working on the older analog composite systems with the RS232 and RS485 control systems. They never have the installer documentation and i am too old to spend hours trying to reverse engineer them to work on them. Also be aware the most of the Hikvision and Dahua cameras can't be used in government installations due to the fact that China has built in vulnerabilities as directed by the government. Probably not an issue for a homeowner but the US government kinda takes a dim view of using cameras with built in hacks.

My favorite turret camera

All installed on a separate network from the company. Just a pair of fiber from building to building hitting a Blue Iris server.