Need Outdoor Security Cameras

WalterGonzales

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm from Mississauga. Already have a good security system in my house. With the motion sensor, CO sensor, smoke detector, a smart lock, cameras inside the house and live monitoring facility. It's been two years and the system is working very well.

But now I'm thinking about upgrading my home security system. I don't wanna change the existing system. Though I would like to add something more. Mainly I need some outdoor security cameras, Something with night vision will be good. Moreover, one problem with my existing security system is we can't watch the feeds later. So I need a cloud storage facility too.

The home security systems company I'm hiring now also provides security cameras. So I'm going to call them. But before, Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

SidecarFlip

Threads
You obviously feel insecure. I've never had the need for a security system. We are always armed. Forgot, you are a Canuk so no firearms allowed unless you are a criminal. Glad I don't live up there. Nice to have a choice.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
We've been into this for a while now. The complete systems with recorder and cameras work decent but the cameras are hit and miss. We have five cameras and two of these we bought separate to get a good picture. Look for a higher number of LEDs for better night vision. Supplied cameras power supply is usually marginal. The recorders do a fair job, nice to look back for several days, but the playback is not so good. Can stream on the internet wherever you are though. Need a pretty large hard drive, and they are run pretty hard so it needs to be a pretty good one. Zmodo is the one we're using now. The listed lens size has more to do with width of field than picture quality. I look for a Sony CMOS, seems to indicate a better quality on the cameras. Get some decent deals on Ebay from time to time. Neighbors might not like it too well, but I work nights so whatever it takes for the wife to feel secure...

.security cameras.jpg

Threads
I have the Lorex poe 4k system. Really sharp visual with good playback.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best security system made ...... Double-Barrel 12 Gauge (short as YOUR state will allow) 2nd best, .. 3 or 4 mean Dobermans ! .. :thumbsup:

Padroo

Threads
Security cameras aren't always about being afraid of the dark. I use mine to check the sump pump. Put a little light near the sump pump, and a thermometer and it will tell you if your furnace is working, you have power and your basement isn't flooded all with one camera.

raciohurg

Forum Newbie
Threads
A couple of years ago, I had an installed security system from my friend who was doing this, but the cameras installed to me did not have night vision, and the sensors were too weak. I refused his services and just analyzed the market for a while until I decided to install Vivint smart home system and saw a huge difference. I have installed cameras with motion sensors both in the house and outside; I can see what is happening in real-time in the home or review when the time is right. The sensors are installed so cleverly that there is not a single-blind spot in the house. I even tried to simulate hacking to make sure that the system works.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is a really old thread and I doubt any of the participants are still around
As for security systems there is a big difference between the good ones & the cheap ones.
I had to instal cameras to get insurance and bought an off the shelf farm kit .
It was $ 6000 ( aus ) for 6 cameras control unit & monitor.
Can be extended to 10 cameras , All Wi-Fi but requires regular battery replacements in the cameras.
If I was going to do it again they would be hard wired where possible .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do some security system and camera system installs. Anyone wanting to install a camera system i would stay away from the composite video stuff from Lorex, Swann, Arlo, Night Owl etc. The stuff is dirt cheap because the industry is moving to IP based cameras and companies are dumping the analog composite stuff. I won't install anything but IP systems now. 4K cameras and NVRs are quite reasonable in price. You can get a professional gade 8 camera sysem with 4K (not 4MP) cameras for around $2k. Cameras are POE so a single run of CAT5e is all you need to each camera. I never recommend wireless cameras. Seen too many train wrecks. I have installed cameras on outbuildings but you need to use good a grade wireless network bridge. A video doorbell is OK for what it is but it doesn't compare to a pro grade system.

Mower King

Threads
Our security cameras were installed by a longtime active security company, they used HikVision cameras.
The system works real good!