Need opinions on Gravely ZTR

Old Goat

Threads
Normally I am very analytical and very cautious about things like this. Even to the point of driving my wife nuts about how I dig into every detail and read everything I can to make some of even the most mundane decisions. Only problem is that I don't have that kind of time right now and it is killing me to have to decide in a week. I have to make a decision this weekend or early next week at the latest because I can't push mow my acre again.

You know, if all you have is an acre with I presume a house on it, the extra cost of a ZTR is probably not cost effective unless you consider mowing time to be very important. Cutting one acre should be no more than 2 hours with a lawn tractor, right?

We have 2.5 acres and the main reason I got rid of the 13 year old lawn tractor for a ZTR mower was because of the time factor.
Cutting time before was 4 1/2 hours and in July and August heat will be down to 1 1/4 hours now with the ZTR. Surprizingly gas consumtion is about the same, maybe a bit less.

Charles

Dataz722

Threads
I really have no idea how long it would take with a decent tractor since my craftsman was a piece of junk and I had to go really slow with it. It would take me ~4+ hours with that.

I wasn't originally planning on getting a ZTR but then when I started pricing out decent tractors I realized that you could get a decent ZTR for the same price I thought all things being equal might as well go with the ZTR. I had assumed that cut and build quality would be the same if not better with the ZTR compared to the tractor. Like I said before, I really don't care much between a tractor or ZTR, just which ever is a better value for my money.

Old Goat

Threads
I really have no idea how long it would take with a decent tractor since my craftsman was a piece of junk and I had to go really slow with it. It would take me ~4+ hours with that.

I wasn't originally planning on getting a ZTR but then when I started pricing out decent tractors I realized that you could get a decent ZTR for the same price I thought all things being equal might as well go with the ZTR. I had assumed that cut and build quality would be the same if not better with the ZTR compared to the tractor. Like I said before, I really don't care much between a tractor or ZTR, just which ever is a better value for my money.

Doesn't sound like you need as hefty a mower as what I bought. Just out of curiosity, I called my Big Dog dealer for pricing on the C & A series mowers for this Spring.

C series, entry level residential
42" 15 hp Kawasaki=$3349
46" 18 hp Kawasaki=$3699
54" 21.5 hp Kawasaki=$4099

A Series, medium level residential
36" 15 hp Kawasaki=$4499
42" 18 hp Kawasaki=$4699
46" 21.5 hp Kawasaki=$4899

Blade Tip Speeds from 18,100 to 18,600 fpm.

For what you have to do, seems the C series 42 or 46 would be all you would need and then some.

How does that figure with lawn tractors you've been pricing?

C & A Series Compare.JPG

Residential and Commercial Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mowers and Tractors - Big Dog Mowers

Dataz722

Threads
Doesn't sound like you need as hefty a mower as what I bought. Just out of curiosity, I called my Big Dog dealer for pricing on the C & A series mowers for this Spring.

C series, entry level residential
42" 15 hp Kawasaki=$3349
46" 18 hp Kawasaki=$3699
54" 21.5 hp Kawasaki=$4099

A Series, medium level residential
36" 15 hp Kawasaki=$4499
42" 18 hp Kawasaki=$4699
46" 21.5 hp Kawasaki=$4899

For what you have to do, seems the C series 42 or 46 would be all you would need and then some.
View attachment 13994
Residential and Commercial Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mowers and Tractors - Big Dog Mowers

Thanks. I hadn't looked at them but I guess it wouldn't hurt to compare.

Edit - I just looked and there aren't any dealers around me and not a single one in the state. Buying one in Delaware is somewhat imporant too since we don't have sales tax.

Old Goat

Threads
Thanks. I hadn't looked at them but I guess it wouldn't hurt to compare.

Edit - I just looked and there aren't any dealers around me and not a single one in the state. Buying one in Delaware is somewhat imporant too since we don't have sales tax.

Yeah, saw that.

Just talked to Andrew at
LeRoys Inc
1004 Highpoint Rd
Cochranville, PA 19330
610 593 6280

He told me that if you have a valid Delaware Drivers Licence, there would be no sales tax for you.

Wish I would have known that earlier, I have a good friend that lives in New Castle!
We been looking for a reason to get together!

Charles

Dataz722

Threads
Yeah, saw that.

Just talked to Andrew at
LeRoys Inc
1004 Highpoint Rd
Cochranville, PA 19330
610 593 6280

He told me that if you have a valid Delaware Drivers Licence, there would be no sales tax for you.

Wish I would have known that earlier, I have a good friend that lives in New Castle!
We been looking for a reason to get together!

Charles

Oh wow! Thank you. I wouldn't have even thought they would be able to do that. I had thought cars were the only exception to sales tax. I really can't believe that you would have called them for me. I really greatly appreciate that.

I am about 10-15 minutes from New Castle at my new house and the old one was the next town over from it. Small world.

Old Goat

Threads
Andrew said they do that with motorcycles all the time also.

PS By the way, my buds name is Gary Carr, he's nuts. He has a 66 GTO also. Now you know we are both nuts.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Andrew said they do that with motorcycles all the time also.

PS By the way, my buds name is Gary Carr, he's nuts. He has a 66 GTO also. Now you know we are both nuts.

Old Goat,
Love that avatar!!!!! Did you do that for "slow learners" like me:0) It makes it pretty clear why you chose your username!!! I'm still coveting in my mind, that picture of your Goat(I thought maybe you raised goats for milk/bbq:0)
I became infatuated with British Sports Cars and I bought a brand new 1972 MG Midget off the showroom for $1,700(yep, no typo....less than $2K brand new as you well know). I owned 5 more over my lifetime(last one was a '67 that had the metal dash and positive earth). They just don't make "real sports cars" like that anymore either. The recent "re-introduction" of Camaros, Chargers, Challengers, etc. is a JOKE....they ain't muscle cars by any stretching of the imagination:0)

Old Goat

Threads
Old Goat,
Love that avatar!!!!! Did you do that for "slow learners" like me:0) It makes it pretty clear why you chose your username!!! I'm still coveting in my mind, that picture of your Goat(I thought maybe you raised goats for milk/bbq:0)
I became infatuated with British Sports Cars and I bought a brand new 1972 MG Midget off the showroom for $1,700(yep, no typo....less than $2K brand new as you well know). I owned 5 more over my lifetime(last one was a '67 that had the metal dash and positive earth). They just don't make "real sports cars" like that anymore either. The recent "re-introduction" of Camaros, Chargers, Challengers, etc. is a JOKE....they ain't muscle cars by any stretching of the imagination:0)

OK, at the risk of hijacking the thread,

Wild About Cars - News Article