Need opinions on Gravely ZTR

JET4

Threads
I was ready to buy the Hustler Raptor 42 but it was too tight of a fit to go through my gate. I didn't want to go to the trouble of making the gate bigger, so I ended up getting the Gravely ZT34. I did like every thing about the Hustler for the cost of it. If it would of fit through the gate it would be in my garage.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was ready to buy the Hustler Raptor 42 but it was too tight of a fit to go through my gate. I didn't want to go to the trouble of making the gate bigger, so I ended up getting the Gravely ZT34. I did like every thing about the Hustler for the cost of it. If it would of fit through the gate it would be in my garage.

See my response in your "need riding mower advice" subject thread:0)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The more I think about it, the more I really need to stay under $3000 if possible, otherwise I will have to just up a couple levels to the HD and have to start finding a couple other yards I can do a week to help pay for it and I would rather not do that since I don't have that much free time.

How does the Raptor compare to the regular Gravely ZT? It seems they both have the same non servicable trans but the Raptor does have a better deck and possibly frame. The Raptor is cheaper too and the bagger is about half the price. Any input between those two?

Also, are there any graden tractors that I should be considering as well for any reason?

Dataz722,
If you are considering a lawn tractor versus a ZTR and have a $3,000 budget, take a look at the Husqvarna YT48XLS. It has a Kawasaki engine, a hydro tranny with locking differential and a fabricated deck for $2899 which is right down your alley. See link below:

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

Dataz722

Threads
Dataz722,
If you are considering a lawn tractor versus a ZTR and have a $3,000 budget, take a look at the Husqvarna YT48XLS. It has a Kawasaki engine, a hydro tranny with locking differential and a fabricated deck for $2899 which is right down your alley. See link below:

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

I have not ruled them out at all. I have seen you and a few others talk very highly of them and have looked into them and even have it on my excel spreadsheet of everything. I guess you could say that it has been shortlisted but at that price though I can't really see why someone would take that over a ZTR. I know some people aren't too confortable with the controls on a ZTR and that they need a tractor if they are dealing with big slopes, but other than that I don't see any advantage. Am I missing something there?

Last edited:

Old Goat

Threads
Old Goat,
Can't argue with you about the quality of that Big Dog, but just to clarify the apples-to-apples comparison to a Gravely....The Gravely 52" ZT HD($4,899 MSRP for the 2013....2012 may have been less) is the model that equates to your Big Dog aside from a 2" less width deck and it has "exactly" the same HydroGear ZT-3100 trannies as your Big Dog. That would be the two Big Dog-Gravelys that the OP would need to compare(to see what the $99 difference was, all things considered).

Not in my book. Looked at both of them long and hard!
2" less cutting width, 900 FPS less on blade tip speed and overall rinky dink way of doing things, IE separate parking brake handle with cables to acutuate same. Cables wind up breaking eventually. Control handle adjustment, 12" wide rear tires compared to 10" on the Gravely, blade height setting in 1/2" increments instead of 1/4", etc. just to name a few.

I found the Big Dog to the the most robust and well thought out unit I looked at for residential use.

I generally buy things that last a LONG time. Bought my 67 GTO brand new!
DSCN9527 (Large).JPG

Charles

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not in my book. Looked at both of them long and hard!
2" less cutting width, 900 FPS less on blade tip speed and overall rinky dink way of doing things, IE separate parking brake handle with cables to acutuate same. Cables wind up breaking eventually. Control handle adjustment, 12" wide rear tires compared to 10" on the Gravely, blade height setting in 1/2" increments instead of 1/4", etc. just to name a few.

I found the Big Dog to the the most robust and well thought out unit I looked at for residential use.

I generally buy things that last a LONG time. Bought my 67 GTO brand new!
View attachment 13987

Charles

Old Goat,
Nowwwwww I get your user name!!! Sweeeeet classic car!!!! My brother had a 1969 "Judge", remember those GTO's??? My father-in-law has a 1971 Chevelle SS396 and a 1958 Ford Fairlane(with the pneumatic "hide-a-top" convertible feature) both in mint condition. If you EVER decide to part with that GTO(which being the original owner I would doubt your sanity if you did:0) I'd be glad to give you a fair price for it!!!! Of course, of the "muscle cars" my brother had when I was in high school, Id most like to own that '68 Hemi Cuda(that would have given his Judge or your Goat a run for their money:0)
Now, back to the thread. Problem with user Dataz722 is that his $3,000 budget won't get him in a "quality ZTR" like your Big Dog or my Gravely and I've tried to point out that if all he has is $3K the Husqvarna lawn tractor will give him more durability, problem-free mowing and life-span than "ANY" ZTR he could buy for $3K. IMHO, if you are not able to invest $4k-$6k and get a "quality" ZTR then you are better of with a little less cut quality(the blade tip speed you eluded to) by getting a high-end lawn tractor. A $3k ztr(in a majority of cases) is going to be nothing but problems and expenses about the time it's warranty expires. Of course sometimes you get lucky and many other users may disagree but that is my personal opinion.

Dataz722

Threads
$3K the Husqvarna lawn tractor will give him more durability, problem-free mowing and life-span than "ANY" ZTR he could buy for $3K. IMHO, if you are not able to invest $4k-$6k and get a "quality" ZTR then you are better of with a little less cut quality

Now that is exactly what I was looking for as far as why one would take that over a ZTR. So it would most likely last longer? I had assumed that it would probably have been about the same as the Raptor. I am still considering springing for the XL and the HD is still in the back of my mind but highly unlikely.

I am most worried about longevity and value for the money, most everything else comes secondary to that.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that is exactly what I was looking for as far as why one would take that over a ZTR. So it would most likely last longer? I had assumed that it would probably have been about the same as the Raptor. I am still considering springing for the XL and the HD is still in the back of my mind but highly unlikely.

I am most worried about longevity and value for the money, most everything else comes secondary to that.

Dataz722,
If you are serious about getting a ZTR and can spring $5k the 52" Gravely ZT HD and 54" Big Dog R Series are both worth looking at. The key is like user old goat pointed out, abandon the Internet and go to a dealer and look at them. And for around $5K you will find MANY more very good residential units at other dealers if you have one nearby(Toro Titan, Cub Cadet Z-Force, Hustler Fastrak, Dixie Chopper Zee 2, etc.). It will be time well spent to compare at least 3 to 5 different makes with similar engines(Kawasaki-best; Kohler, except Courage-better, Briggs-good), decks(gauge) and trannies(at least HydroGear ZT-2800, 3100 & 3400 better ones) and then compare the real important differences like warranties(years/hours and on spindles or frames/decks), spindle types(cast iron better than aluminum). Blade tip speed doesn't always = better cut, but it should be at "least" 1500 fpm minimum for good performance. It took me about 2-3 months just to find out(on these forums) what to look for and what "stuff meant". I would recommend you plan on spending at least a month or two to educate yourself and you will be better able to determine what is right for you. Good luck!!!

Dataz722

Threads
I have been to a Gravely dealer that is right by where I work but all of the other dealers have pretty limited hours and I am not able to get there because of work. The latest any of them close is 5 during the week and have very limited hours on Saturdays. I am going to try to make it to the Hustler dealer this Saturday but I doubt I will make it and unless I were to take a half day at work which wouldn't be able to happen for another couple weeks, I won't be able to go look at the Husqvarna at all.

I was able to look at the Gravelys but not able to test drive it because apparently they only do test drives on Saturdays for some reason.

Normally I am very analytical and very cautious about things like this. Even to the point of driving my wife nuts about how I dig into every detail and read everything I can to make some of even the most mundane decisions. Only problem is that I don't have that kind of time right now and it is killing me to have to decide in a week. I have to make a decision this weekend or early next week at the latest because I can't push mow my acre again.

Thank you for all your help though. You have really shed some light on many different aspects of this for me, not only in here but in other threads too.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can't beat this forum for encyclopedic knowledge!! And eagerness to share it. Kudos!:thumbsup: