Need ideas on FS 111RX poor running engine

MagnumMike

Threads
Taking it to dealer today. Took off the plastic shroud and muffler screen. Filter is like new as is the muffler screen. Fuel/Oil mix is used in other machines with no problem. Appreciate your thoughts!!!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Taking it to dealer today. Took off the plastic shroud and muffler screen. Filter is like new as is the muffler screen. Fuel/Oil mix is used in other machines with no problem. Appreciate your thoughts!!!
Poor running is either a dirty carb, stale gas or plugged exhaust. You said muffler spark arrestor screen was clean. Only leaves carb or stale gas. What does fresh gas and oil do for it?

slomo

MagnumMike

Threads
Poor running is either a dirty carb, stale gas or plugged exhaust. You said muffler spark arrestor screen was clean. Only leaves carb or stale gas. What does fresh gas and oil do for it?

slomo
I'm using fresh gas. My other machines are running fine on the same fuel/oil source. If it is a dirty carb, I'm trying to understand how that can happen with less than 10 hrs on engine. It has been properly (per the manual) winterized during off season.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
How did you store the unit over the winter? Full of premix fuel? Run till empty and just quits? Run till empty and when start stumbling and close choke and run till quits with choke on and the pull rope numerous times with choke closed to be sure all fuel is out of carb? I work on equipment every year where people "ran it empty" where they let it run till it just stops and putting it up and the carb needs serviced next season. Filling it with mix and leaving it over the winter can be a problem too, depending. Being a 4mix engine first thing is the check and adjust the valves then troubleshoot fuel issues.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm using fresh gas. My other machines are running fine on the same fuel/oil source. If it is a dirty carb, I'm trying to understand how that can happen with less than 10 hrs on engine. It has been properly (per the manual) winterized during off season.
That removes the fresh gas issue. Now you are back to a dirty carb or cracked fuel lines. Might have a vacuum leak at the carb area. Forget about winterizing. That means nothing now.

Was this machine used to cut down farmers fields and fence lines? Overgrown yards? Some how dirt/grit is inside the carb and won't run properly. Fuel filter okay?

Get a carb rebuild kit. Take it all apart. Remove all plastic and rubber parts, set aside. Place the carb in the wife's dishwasher on pot scrubber super mode. Next dunk the metal parts in pure ammonia for a day or so. Blow it out with a real air compressor and air nozzle both ways. Soak again in ammonia if needed and blow. Install new carb kit and test.

Do you have strong spark and a good plug?

slomo

MagnumMike

Threads
How did you store the unit over the winter? Full of premix fuel? Run till empty and just quits? Run till empty and when start stumbling and close choke and run till quits with choke on and the pull rope numerous times with choke closed to be sure all fuel is out of carb? I work on equipment every year where people "ran it empty" where they let it run till it just stops and putting it up and the carb needs serviced next season. Filling it with mix and leaving it over the winter can be a problem too, depending. Being a 4mix engine first thing is the check and adjust the valves then troubleshoot fuel issues.
Thanks for the feedback Hammer! What's strange is this particular machine has had the lack of power issue from the day I bought. It always starts on first or second pull. Even during the latest episode where it did not want to run, it restarted on the 1st pull after it died. I own 4 motorcycles, 2 JD tractors and a new Ferris Z-Turn. I am a fanatic when it comes to maintenance. Luckily this is still under warranty so the dealer will be addressing the problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the feedback Hammer! What's strange is this particular machine has had the lack of power issue from the day I bought. It always starts on first or second pull. Even during the latest episode where it did not want to run, it restarted on the 1st pull after it died. I own 4 motorcycles, 2 JD tractors and a new Ferris Z-Turn. I am a fanatic when it comes to maintenance. Luckily this is still under warranty so the dealer will be addressing the problem.
Why didn't you say it's under warranty from the start? It never ran proper from day 1.

slomo

MagnumMike

Threads
Why didn't you say it's under warranty from the start? It never ran proper from day 1.

slomo
I noted in my initial post that the unit would not rev up to full rpm. Regardless of whether it was under warranty, I wanted to understand why it was running that poorly for a new machine. That's what I thought this forum was for. Sorry if I was mistaken.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I noted in my initial post that the unit would not rev up to full rpm. Regardless of whether it was under warranty, I wanted to understand why it was running that poorly for a new machine. That's what I thought this forum was for. Sorry if I was mistaken.
No problem but you kinda of took up our non-precious time with your warranty claim. This is not a new machine. It is used. Good luck with it.

slomo