need help

Marty013

Threads
hey folks.. been a while i know :p i got myself a lawn tractor Columbia 42in cut 16HP single cyl Briggs... and it needs a belt for the deck as well as both blades.. ive tried looking at the MTD site.. but couldnt confirm my model on the site?? so if anyone knows where i can look.. would be nice

model 13AE698G597 ... to be fair... the last 9 digit.. the sticker is bunched up a bit.. i think.. its a 9.. might be an 8?? trying with either or doesnt give me any better hits.. its still mowing.. but wow.. is it ever slowing down .. even during a mow i can notice it getting worse and worse..

side note.. how tricky is it to add a washer port to an older deck? what do i need.. what do i need o know?( location?? places to avoid?)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
think you can post a picture of the model sticker?
I looked through the range of years for that model number and i can't find anything close to it.
1689994550079.png

Marty013

Threads
its older than 2005.. i forget what year it is... but even the 2005 42in deck.. it isnt a match for the setup mine has.. soo... belt ID wont be much use to me..

and i cant go take a pic o the sticker.. the number i provided IS the same.. i have the serial 2a082i30159

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
on ether the rocker cover or the blower housing near the spark plug should be the B & S numbers
The first 2 of the serial is the year of manufacture
This might help narrow down the parts problem
IT will use all standard MTD parts
A 13 model number signifies that it is a lawn tractor so any parts from a 13 model for that year that has the same deck will fit
Shown under is the MTD coding system
Untitled 9.jpg
So parts from any MTD brand made in the same year that has 13 at the front
9 as transmission type
G as the deck
will be right for your mower

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It either a 1982,1992, or 2002 model if older than 2005. But not finding the model number posted. If it has a Briggs or Kohler the datecode/serial can narrow down the year if the engine is original.

See if this is the deck diagram.
1690026530214.png

Marty013

Threads
i beleive it to be a 2002 based on the year options you provide..

that isnt the deck i have.. mine doesnt have any tensionner pulleys.. and no front anti-scalping wheels.. and im not even sure about the rear ones lol just a belt from the engine.. to the spindles... the bracktry that pivots down and away from the engine is how it gets tensionning to engage the blades.. low tech galore lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a standard system used by MTD for decades before they bought Cub Cadet and got the IP for the Cub quick detatching deck shown in the image Star posted above .
IF it was a less cheap model it had 2 tensioning springs to pull the deck back
You should also have a long engagement lever on the right that lifts the deck up & down and as it swings up it also goes forward till in the Off position the deck belt is slack .
This is a very problematic system because it is very sensitive to pulley wear, wear in the deck links, strength of the springs and belt length
On all of these mowers in my run I have needed to fir a shorter belt to compensate for the wear and even then some burn the belt when dissengaged or slip when engaged no matter what belt I use
The first one I did the customer was quoted $ 872 because the MTD dealer was obliged to replace all 8 deck hangers , the rear anti sway plate , the engine pulley and the two decl pullies

Marty013

Threads
That is a standard system used by MTD for decades before they bought Cub Cadet and got the IP for the Cub quick detatching deck shown in the image Star posted above .
IF it was a less cheap model it had 2 tensioning springs to pull the deck back
You should also have a long engagement lever on the right that lifts the deck up & down and as it swings up it also goes forward till in the Off position the deck belt is slack .
This is a very problematic system because it is very sensitive to pulley wear, wear in the deck links, strength of the springs and belt length
On all of these mowers in my run I have needed to fir a shorter belt to compensate for the wear and even then some burn the belt when dissengaged or slip when engaged no matter what belt I use
The first one I did the customer was quoted $ 872 because the MTD dealer was obliged to replace all 8 deck hangers , the rear anti sway plate , the engine pulley and the two decl pullies
mine doenst have the 2 tensionning springs.. im not the original owner.. so it isnt impossible they rusted away.. or just.. wernet put back on.. where would these be installed??

i do have the lever to select the desired deck height.. when you drop out of the highest setting ( belt slack) your mowing.. in the tallest setting.. there isnt much belt tension in the setup.. enough to get by.. but dont try mowing too fast.. so.. how much shorter a belt should i run?? ive already thought about running a shorter belt.. but i wondered about how it may affect mowing in the shortest setting ( i mow some areas at shortest.. where cars park ect and the rest id like to use highest setting) also would prefer if the blades stopped when i pull the lever for them to eventually stop ( theres no brake in the system)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually there is a flat plate bolted to the top of the blade pullies that touch against brake pads bolted to the underside of the floor boards
However yours could predate mandated blade brakes .
You can go down in belt sizes till when in the off position the belt does not have enough slack to fully clear the engine pulley so it will burn the belt .
However we still need the the serial number from the engine to date the engine so we can know where to start looking .
MTD made a lot of mowers in all sorts of colours .

Marty013

Threads
Usually there is a flat plate bolted to the top of the blade pullies that touch against brake pads bolted to the underside of the floor boards
However yours could predate mandated blade brakes .
You can go down in belt sizes till when in the off position the belt does not have enough slack to fully clear the engine pulley so it will burn the belt .
However we still need the the serial number from the engine to date the engine so we can know where to start looking .
MTD made a lot of mowers in all sorts of colours .
the only thing bolted over the pulleys are those little guards to prevent ou from touching the spinning pulleys from above..

when did the blade brakes get mandated?

see.. this is what id like to prevent lol

its a columbia brand MTD version..

engine is a briggs intek single cyl 16HP
model; 311 777
type; 0209-e1
code; 011 211 2d

thats what i could decipher from the engine sticker.. hope it answers lol