need help to wire a riding lawn mower

VITO55

Threads
can anyone help me my son bought 2 riding mowers both craftsman. one had a bad motor so he pulled both motors and swapped them.he also pulled the wiring harnesses.the motor im trying to wire is a kohler 14.5. the motor that was in it was a 18 . the tractor is a craftsman lt1000. bad thing is he doesnt know where anything wires to and he cut out all the safties. he just wants to ride it not cut grass i have the ignition but not apposed to putting a starter button in. i need to figure how to wire the stator and the starter solenoid that is a 4 pole also the fuel cut on the carb

any help would be great thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can take either a wire off the solenoid on the same side as the big battery wire or from the positive post of the battery to the B terminal on the key switch. Run a wire from the S terminal to one of the small terminals on the solenoid. the other small terminal can be grounded to the frame. That will give you start. bring a wire from the stator if it has the diode type connector or if it has a regulator from that connector to the same side of solenoid that the positive battery wire is connected to. Find what terminal on the key switch has power in both the start and run positions and no power in the off position. Run a wire from that terminal to the carb fuel solenoid. last run a wire from the ignition module to the M terminal on the key switch. And if the key switch is mounted in a plastic dash then there may be a G terminal that needs to be run to a ground on the frame.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow!!!! Let the kid figure things out, he needs it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey IL, very impressive.:laughing:

VITO55

Threads
Wow!!!! Let the kid figure things out, he needs it.

he 13 and normaly does real good. he put quad tires on the rear and wants to change the pulleys to make it go faster

VITO55

Threads
You can take either a wire off the solenoid on the same side as the big battery wire or from the positive post of the battery to the B terminal on the key switch. Run a wire from the S terminal to one of the small terminals on the solenoid. the other small terminal can be grounded to the frame. That will give you start. bring a wire from the stator if it has the diode type connector or if it has a regulator from that connector to the same side of solenoid that the positive battery wire is connected to. Find what terminal on the key switch has power in both the start and run positions and no power in the off position. Run a wire from that terminal to the carb fuel solenoid. last run a wire from the ignition module to the M terminal on the key switch. And if the key switch is mounted in a plastic dash then there may be a G terminal that needs to be run to a ground on the frame.

the stator has 2 wires though

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The kohler should have a regulator, if so then those two wires which most likely have flat spade type connectors connect to the outside two prongs on the regulator. The center prong goes to the battery. If no regulator which I don't think I have seen on a Kohler larger type engine. will have a diode in the wiring harness which will look like a bump in the wiring above the connector. The wire with the bump gets wired to the battery, and the other wire can be left disconnected

VITO55

Threads

i wired the mower but the stator started to smoke. i disconected the wire from the stator to the big red lead on the solenoid. it cranks but wont start.you talked about the module wire. where is the module? my stator has 2 wires yellow and black.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model number of the engine you are trying to wire so I can see what stator and charging system setup you have. The module I was talking about would be the ignntion module which is located under the blower cover next to the flywheel. some people refer to it as a coil.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, I was teasing a bit before, but in order to help you at all, we really need to know what you have. Unfortunately, Sears liked their Kohler's with Smartspark, which
confounded everyone, especially the Sear's techs....

So for any of us to even be able to be close to helping you, we would need the model numbers off of the tractor [under seat], and all of the model/spec numbers off of the engine....

And it would require a bit of time to look up what you have, and figure out what you are trying to achieve. So let us start there...... Model numbers.

I know, these guys will say that I don't know what I am doing because I ask for model numbers, that is why I like it here......