Need help! Kohler K321 no spark

coinman66

Threads
Had a John Deere 214 gave to me with a Kohler K321 in it. Tractor caught on fire from fuel leak and melted hood off it. Coating was melted off some off wiring so I black taped all exposed wire. Put new battery in it and it turns over but no spark. Could heat from fire ruined the coil or condenser? Top of engine was exposed to fire and bubbled paint and melted coating off wires, but like I said engine turns over. Any suggestions?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excessive heat could damage the coil, but you could just have a point condenser issue also. So you may want to try a new points and condenser before checking about coil issues.

coinman66

Threads
Excessive heat could damage the coil, but you could just have a point condenser issue also. So you may want to try a new points and condenser before checking about coil issues.

I have a coil off a K301, will that work in a pinch?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely same coil, so it should work.

coinman66

Threads
Also this engine has what looks to be an ignition module on it. Maybe the heat from the fire got it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine used on that model was a 12v coil/point system. I am wondering if the ignition module looking thing is the voltage regulator. Silver aluminum with fins on it.

coinman66

Threads
The engine used on that model was a 12v coil/point system. I am wondering if the ignition module looking thing is the voltage regulator. Silver aluminum with fins on it.

Yes it's the voltage regulator. 3 spades coming out of it. If this is bad, will I not get any spark from plug? I tried a different good coil and condenser. When engine cranks over, no sparking from points either?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Will not effect spark. Make sure you are getting 12v at the coil One bolt on coil should have battery voltage, the other screw will have the connector for the points, and maybe the condenser depending where it is mounted. Also make sure there isn't any oil residue on the points because it can prevent spark.

coinman66

Threads
Will not effect spark. Make sure you are getting 12v at the coil One bolt on coil should have battery voltage, the other screw will have the connector for the points, and maybe the condenser depending where it is mounted. Also make sure there isn't any oil residue on the points because it can prevent spark.

Everything seems to be hooked up right. I'm wondering if fire took its toll on wiring harness? Everything was still hooked up, so I just black taped up wherever wire coating was melted off. Maybe new wiring harness? Like i said, engine cranks over so it's puzzling?