Need help finding a specialized tool and part

Alex Ethridge

Threads
I have a Briggs engine that the bottom shaft bushing is worn out. I know there is no bushing there but that's the best I know how to describe it. 40 years ago when I had my little mower shop, I had a reamer that I used to ream out that hole and then drive in a brass bushing and seal and put it back together good as new. It's a small, 4-HP, vertical-shaft engine.

I have no idea what went with reamer after 40 years so where do I look for the reamer and bushings for this operation.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Sorry I'm no help on where to find a reamer and I know this wasn't your question but, the last time I priced a reamer it was cheaper for me to just buy a replacement part rather than to try and fix the failed one I had. Just my 2 cents. Now if your part is NLA or you think you'll need the reamer more than once, then of course that's a different story.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The tool kit from Briggs is basically NLA as several components are NLA.

Depending how steady you are there are some adjustable hand reamer out there. Got my set from HFT but they no longer carry them.

here is an example.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you thought about going to one of the oldest repair shops in your area and seeing if they have one you can rent.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Yes, when I had my shop, I used it several times. Since posting here, I've looked at the cost of reamers and it seems they float around $70 and up so I'll look into getting a new sump. It's quite an old push-type string trimmer on two wheels so a sump probably isn't available.
Have you thought about going to one of the oldest repair shops in your area and seeing if they have one you can rent.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
The bushings used to be in the Briggs parts catalog but I can't find even a hint of them now. I'll check around tomorrow but if the bushings can't be found there is no need for the tool.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Sorry I'm no help on where to find a reamer and I know this wasn't your question but, the last time I priced a reamer it was cheaper for me to just buy a replacement part rather than to try and fix the failed one I had. Just my 2 cents. Now if your part is NLA or you think you'll need the reamer more than once, then of course that's a different story.
yeah, same

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You got to remember Briggs had file bankruptcy and it no longer the company we grew up with. They are now owed by an investment company that don't care about their customers, just their money.