Need help changing drive belt on 21" Toro commercial

AADAD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so I bought a used Toro 21" commercial, model 22196, Honda engine with BBC which is a new one for me. I need to replace the transmission drive belt, something I've done a thousand times but never on a mower with a BBC. I know I take off the top cover for the drive belt and flip the mower on its side to access the bottom side, take the blade off and the plastic cover under the blade but them I'm stumped. Do I take off the large nut which appears to be holding the BBC in place or what are the next step(s)??? I'm not finding anything online to point me in the right direction; HELP???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I haven't got time this morning to give you the exact steps to replace that belt. It is not real hard, but you have to remove the BBC pulley to get at it. I'll try to get back to you this evening. If you try to tackle it today, please do not try to reassemble without someone giving you the procedure, as you could break the pulley prongs if not done correctly. Post you Toro numbers, I might have a manual to help.

AADAD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate your advice, I'm definitely not tackling today but I would like to get it handled in the next couple days. Model number is 220196

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check page 7of this manual. It has a full breakdown of how the parts are assembled. Parts 8-22 all have to come off. Two things to remember on reassembly. First part #10 has two nubs which must fit into part #11 BBC flywheel. If when you reassemble they slip out, you will be buying a new pulley. Second, when you tighten the large nut do so slowing and turn the assembly, making sure that the BBC belt stays free at all times. I suggest that you have an assistant when doing this and you print out the parts assembly. Sorry I don't have the service manual for that unit. I must warn you that even though it may look fairly simple, it you have you questioning your sanity before you are done. I have done more than I care to admit and still don't like doing them. Good Luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Need help changing drive belt on 21" Toro commercial
Try this one. If it does not open go to Toro.com and click on parts. Type in this model number 22196 and when it comes up click on manuals and look for the parts manual. Let me know if you get a parts breakdown.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=39999

AADAD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this one. If it does not open go to Toro.com and click on parts. Type in this model number 22196 and when it comes up click on manuals and look for the parts manual. Let me know if you get a parts breakdown.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=39999

Well although I know you've tried being helpful, the link seems dead because although it goes to the web, it doesn't open anything. I printed a parts manual and can see the components of the BBC, I really don't know what I'm looking at so I'll have to continue looking unless anyone here has other suggestions. I am completely perplexed

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
1) remove blade, guard plate and spacer.
2) engage drive hold with clamp or vice grip.
3) the big square metal plate behind the bowl has a little notch half circle cut out that is for putting a thick screw driver to stop it from turning.
4) remove crank bolt while holding metal plate with screw driver.
5) all pieces slide out now keep an eye out for the little shear keys. May need to remove the little blade belt and pulley (one small bolt and whole pulley comes off)
6) feed belt from transmission cover make sure its not rubbing
7) put everything back how it came off its real simple.
8) I.don't have torque specs for crank bolt but I've always just tightened it as hard as I can.