Need Help/Advice with Troy-Bilt Lawnmower

FourtyCaliber

Threads
Hey all. Spring is here and I'm starting up on projects again that have been lurking in my garage. I've already fixed my 2nd, back-up snowblower and my neighbor's snowblower which quit half-way through winter, and I rebuilt my tiller carburetor. Now I'm working on my lawnmower. It's a Troy-Bilt(MTD), variable speed, self-propelled lawnmower, Model # 12AV839N711. A "few" years ago the power drive mechanism(transmission) stopped working. I was told by MTD when I contacted them that the "transmission" wasn't serviceable and I needed to buy a new transmission. Anyway, I fixed what was wrong with it, which were multiple problems. The "D" hole in the belt pulley was stripped and it was spinning on the shaft. I was able to order one. The seals were all leaking and I was able to get those, too. The "fork" fingers that slides the plastic gear over onto the input shaft was worn enough so that it didn't move the gear enough to engage the power shaft. I was able to add weld onto the fork fingers and re-machine the surfaces. I have a new belt for it, too. Anyways, I am now reassembling the transmission.

This brings me to my problem. I don't know what type of lubrication to put into the transmission. I also don't know how much lubrication to put into the transmission. I have done multiple, extensive searches and have found nothing. I also contacted MTD and was told by them, again, that the transmission is not serviceable. They would not tell me what oil to use or how much. There is nothing listed in my manual about the transmission lubricant other than a line that says something like, "The transmission is lubricated at the factory and does not require any periodic lubrication".

I remember when I first took the transmission apart that the oil was "silvery" and had a "gritty feel to it. I don't know if that is how it originally was or if the silver color and grit was from the metal that was worn off from the fork fingers.

Does anyone have any information on the type and amount of lube for this lawnmower? Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

FourtyCaliber

Threads
Mark, thanks for the info. I'm looking at the chart now. But, I have to ask, how do I identify which transaxle is on my mower? Thanks

FourtyCaliber

Threads
I don't know if this will help anything or not, but I just looked at the plastic cases of the transaxle and the numbers
"618-04229" followed by "506312:144" are imprinted on one of the case halves.