Need advise; steep 3 acre hillside, sloping

mcfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hillside slopes about 10 feet down for every 40 to 50 feet horizontal. It has some softball to football size rocks, most of which I will police up. Grass is about 2 feet tall now, by the time I buy maybe 3 to 4 feet; but after it is cut once i will keep it under 8inches. I don't need a finish cut, and I will only cut every other week so 3 to 6 hours to cut it is okay. What do the experts recommend?

fairw21611

Forum Newbie
Threads
For maintaining property with a steep grade you really need a heavy duty machine if you expect it to hold up.

I live on 1.75 acres of pretty steeply graded property and my John Deere X520 does a real good job. I know John Deere's can get pricey but on the other hand, so do machinery repairs.......

Bill

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Like Bill has said... You are going to need a Heavy Duty machine...
Anything intended for lawn work will be Over worked as will the operator....
Your initial cutting will likely need to be done with a Large tractor and a rear mounted rough cut rotary shredder or flail... (rocks are not going to be handy for any mower)
Good luck & when you start this initial clean up project... Post some pictures of the process... :smile:KennyV

jedhemi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Commercial size mower 4x4 if you can afford it big motor to deck ratio ie 20hp 38inch this will have the power to get through longer grass. good luck with getting all the rocks, maybe you can hire the local scouts group.

jenkinsph

Threads
I live in the mountains and use my Deere x749 for hilly terrain frequently. Having 4x4 and all wheel steer on a low profile machine helps with steep slopes.. Having 4x4 means all four wheels provide braking on steep slopes, very important when going downhill and the weight is shifted forwards to the front wheels. I have several larger tractors but this x749 ismuch safer to use on the steep slopes.