Need advice on how much voltage I need for electric mower

danielsomers

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need advice on how much voltage I need for electric mower
* I think this forum is mostly for gas machines, so please don't laugh. ;)

I'm trying to decide between a 40V Kobalt mower and a 56V Ego. Both get excellent reviews. I have a bit less than 1/3 acre, flat, in Massachusetts--so it's not super thick grass like in the southeast. But I'm finding in user reviews that power and battery life will be less than advertised (big surprise there...) and have also read that the battery will likely hold a little less of a charge each year, even while it's still basically working ok.

I'd also like to not sweat it too much if I go away for a week or two and the grass gets longer than usual.

Any advice on that, or on the two brands overall?

Oh right, one other thing is that the Ego replacement battery is super expensive, nearly $300, but Kobalt doesn't even make one (at least not at 6Ah as with the original) and so I'd have to get a generic, which I assume would be less than great.

And I'm assuming that, because the 56V should go longer on each charge the battery will last longer--yes?

RayMcD

Threads
* I think this forum is mostly for gas machines, so please don't laugh. ;)

I'm trying to decide between a 40V Kobalt mower and a 56V Ego. Both get excellent reviews. I have a bit less than 1/3 acre, flat, in Massachusetts--so it's not super thick grass like in the southeast. But I'm finding in user reviews that power and battery life will be less than advertised (big surprise there...) and have also read that the battery will likely hold a little less of a charge each year, even while it's still basically working ok.

I'd also like to not sweat it too much if I go away for a week or two and the grass gets longer than usual.

Any advice on that, or on the two brands overall?

Oh right, one other thing is that the Ego replacement battery is super expensive, nearly $300, but Kobalt doesn't even make one (at least not at 6Ah as with the original) and so I'd have to get a generic, which I assume would be less than great.

And I'm assuming that, because the 56V should go longer on each charge the battery will last longer--yes?
Simply be very careful where you get your reviews. Every new product on the Internet has good reviews somewhere. It's when it has sometime on it you would like a review, Cheers, Ray

danielsomers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simply be very careful where you get your reviews. Every new product on the Internet has good reviews somewhere. It's when it has sometime on it you would like a review, Cheers, Ray
Yes! That's part of why I'm uneasy, even with consumer reports--It's not clear where their "reliability data" comes from.

It's a helpful reminder. I'm thinking this might argue for Ego, rather than Kobalt, which I think is mostly a Lowes store brand.

My favorite is when people write on Amazon: "I've had it for a year and it still works great!" I think at this point a lot of people have been trained to expect zero reliability.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best thing I can say is that my neighbor has an Ego and loves it. Has had it for three years and has never complained to me about it.