Nearly killed myself on my Raptor today (literally)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny the subtle differences.
ROP's are compulsory down here on any mower that has an employees bum in the operators seat.
Most operators reverse their mowers on to the trailer and drive them off.
Much much much more safe to do it that way.
You can still roll over sideways but no chance of flipping.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
I did similar thing a few years ago on a Ford 9N... we both survived.
It's tough to get old. LOL

gabowman

Threads
Count your blessings. Uh...no ROP's on the Raptors?

RaptorSDer

Threads
Count your blessings. Uh...no ROP's on the Raptors?

No ROPS or tip over wheels. After inspecting it I found the underside of the tow hole lip is very scratched up from the trailer. It looks to be what kept it from flipping over.

I ended up mowing for about an hour after and didn't enjoy it at all. Guess the whole thing spooked me a bit. I'm hoping the joy of mowing comes back next week!

Kremeneon

Threads
Most operators reverse their mowers on to the trailer and drive them off.
Much much much more safe to do it that way.
You can still roll over sideways but no chance of flipping.

This is the best practice.

KrashnKraka

Threads
No ROPS or tip over wheels. After inspecting it I found the underside of the tow hole lip is very scratched up from the trailer. It looks to be what kept it from flipping over.
[...]

That's a bit of a worry...the torque these engines + tyres can transmit
makes those features mandatory, in my view.

Go easy... the mow bug will return ;)

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
So a friend of mine has a small 5 X 8 single axis utility trailer and he brought it over to load up my Raptor (wanted to try it out on his lawn). It loaded up with no issues so we headed over to his house to start mowing. Unbeknownst to me, while I was climbing on the mower (still on the trailer) he un-latched the trailer from the truck while I was starting the mower. As I began backing up, the front of the trailer came off the tongue and once the back hit the ground me and the mower tipped backwards and I was looking almost straight up. I'd guess if it were to have tipped a few more inches i would have had a nice shiny 600+ lb.mower on top of me. Luckily, it fell forward.

It's amazing how a couple of mental errors can turn a seemingly safe and simple act into a potentially life threatening one. I most definitely learned a few lessons and so did my friend.

Just wanted to get that off my chest (no, not the mower) :/

Another way you can just about kill yourself on a ZT:

If a jumbo grasshopper flies into your neck and you instinctively reach up to swat it as you are going full out...

KrashnKraka

Threads
Another way you can just about kill yourself on a ZT:

If a jumbo grasshopper flies into your neck and you instinctively reach up to swat it as you are going full out...

Another is running along with other waaay bigger farm machinery in
close cropping. The ZTR is fitted with strobe light and a very long
fishing rod with orange safety flag attached.
When 130kg meets 18tonne headon it's "nil conteste".
And sh*ts is Trumps! :laughing:

SARG

Threads
I feel much like as dumass myself today.

Couple weeks ago I brought home a Ferris IS1500. First pass across the lawn I tangled the rops into a anchor guidewire... pulling the wire down. Cost me $50. to get the wire hooked up again.

Tonight I tangled into the anchor wires on another pole .... this time bending the crap out of the TuffTop canopy I had put on. Another $200. top is now on order.

Painful when you can't think of a decent excuse to tell the wife.

turboawd

Threads
just today i loaded my mower in my 6x12 cargo trailer, and forgot to lift the back door/ramp. didnt realize until i pulled out onto road :confused2: