Naturally Occurring Grasses

Honey

Threads
How does one encourage naturally occurring grasses to grow rather than the commercial ones they have for sale these days. I would like to go more natural. Suggestions would be appreciated.

mois25

Threads
I am not sure how to but do you have a species in mind? I prefer to go for the ones for sale given they seem to grow fast and are easy to maintain.

Honey

Threads
I am not sure what is natural in my area, perhaps I need to investigate that further and see what some places suggest for my growing zone and the like.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use them as ornamentals. Not something I mow. They need to be cut about once a year. They get about 3-4' high and about the same diameter.
Fakahatchee grass
Spartina bakari
Muhlee grass

Lucy

Threads
Many counties have an extension office---usually an extension of a state university. These offices often have master gardeners on staff to answer such questions as yours.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many counties have an extension office---usually an extension of a state university. These offices often have master gardeners on staff to answer such questions as yours.

Great source for all plant information AND soil testing, to let you know what to do to help things grow.
The natural grasses to your area will be a much hardier grass and will do well with minimal care... :smile:KennyV

touree

Threads
Wow, 3 or 4 inches of diameter or length would be hard to mow, right? The extensions mentioned are a good idea. I once called such and they were friendly and gave really good ideas.

Honey

Threads
I will have to call and see what they tell me. I would rather support naturally occurring things than introducing something foreign into my yard.

touree

Threads
At Honey, you seem to already have a pre-formed idea about the naturally grass. Perhaps it would help if you mentioned what kind of species it is then suggestions can flow in faster, huh?

Honey

Threads
Maybe if I take pictures someone would know what type it is because I have no idea. I just know it looks like grass so I assume it is a type of grass.