My trimmer comes close to starting but does not. Help?

Nikki6

Forum Newbie
I bought a gas trimmer last week off Craigslist because my old electric trimmer died. It ran when I bought it. Now I can't get it started. Well, actually it starts but for only a second or two. Then it dies. The instructions on the machine say to full choke it, prime 10x, pull 5x, move choke lever to middle, then pull to start it. I don't have the manual so I don't know what to try if that doesn't work, and it's not working, because I spent 30 minutes trying to start it. My arm is sore from pulling the rope so much. It has gas and oil (4 cycle). What might be the problem? I am not mechanically inclined and this is my first gas trimmer so please be gentle! Thanks.
 
Will it start every time you prime it then die then start after priming it again?
I would buy a tune up kit. Comes with a primer bulb and new fuel lines and filter.
Even comes with a tool to install the new lines. Very easy to do and only about $10.
Also check the gas cap make sure the vent on or is not clogged.
 
I bought a gas trimmer last week off Craigslist because my old electric trimmer died. It ran when I bought it. Now I can't get it started. Well, actually it starts but for only a second or two. Then it dies. The instructions on the machine say to full choke it, prime 10x, pull 5x, move choke lever to middle, then pull to start it. I don't have the manual so I don't know what to try if that doesn't work, and it's not working, because I spent 30 minutes trying to start it. My arm is sore from pulling the rope so much. It has gas and oil (4 cycle). What might be the problem? I am not mechanically inclined and this is my first gas trimmer so please be gentle! Thanks.

Is it a Troy built?...if not what brand is it? I know (all thanks to Ric) that Stihl makes a 4 stroke (4 mix) engine and Troy Built makes a 4 stroke..it has a crank case for the oil the 4 mix engine is a 4 stroke without crankcase and oil...you still have to mix gas and 2 stroke oil but it's a 4 stroke
 
I bought a gas trimmer last week off Craigslist because my old electric trimmer died. It ran when I bought it. Now I can't get it started. Well, actually it starts but for only a second or two. Then it dies. The instructions on the machine say to full choke it, prime 10x, pull 5x, move choke lever to middle, then pull to start it. I don't have the manual so I don't know what to try if that doesn't work, and it's not working, because I spent 30 minutes trying to start it. My arm is sore from pulling the rope so much. It has gas and oil (4 cycle). What might be the problem? I am not mechanically inclined and this is my first gas trimmer so please be gentle! Thanks.


Knowing the make of the machine would be a help. Right off hand it could be a number of things like your primer blub being cracked or the gas filter being plugged or maybe the air filter or the spark arrestor being plugged or you may want to replace the spark plug, but if your following the instructions on the machine I'd say you have the machine flooded big time.
 
Is it a Troy built?...if not what brand is it? I know (all thanks to Ric) that Stihl makes a 4 stroke (4 mix) engine and Troy Built makes a 4 stroke..it has a crank case for the oil the 4 mix engine is a 4 stroke without crankcase and oil...you still have to mix gas and 2 stroke oil but it's a 4 stroke

Yes it is Troy bilt. It has separate inputs for oil and gas.
 
Yes it is Troy bilt. It has separate inputs for oil and gas.

Well I have the Troy built TB 575 EC model with electric start and I have run the hell out of it.I keep fresh oil in it and my air filter clean and mine has been an excellent piece of equipment. I would listen to Ric he's been at this a while. It is something to do with your carb would be my guess.Make sure don't have a crack anywhere in your primer button or fuel lines,clean your air filter and change your spark plug.I don't know if they make a carb kit for it or not but you could Try some carb cleaner..you could have some trash in the carb...and NEVER run ethanol in it...it causes your fuel lines and primer button to crack and gums up your carb quickly.. I run nothing but premium non ethanol fuel in all my lawn equipment and I think it has paid off.but Ric knows more about all this than myself and he's polite and willing to help you so I'd follow his advice..good luck and by all means let us know what the problem was when your get it solved
 
Now that we got this far, is there any reason why you can't tell us the model number, now that we know its Troy build.

Yes, there is a reason. I can't find it anywhere. There is a small sticker on the bottom that says that its a troy bilt in the fine print, but I have no idea where to find it. There is a serial number (I think) on the side of the engine, but I don't think that's the same as the model number.
 
Yes, there is a reason. I can't find it anywhere. There is a small sticker on the bottom that says that its a troy bilt in the fine print, but I have no idea where to find it. There is a serial number (I think) on the side of the engine, but I don't think that's the same as the model number.

Post a picture of it that may be sufficient...I sent you a Private message... check your alerts at the top of page and clock on it and you should find it..or go on Troy Built's website and you should be able to find it there... They also have a phone number to call for assistance and there's several videos on you tube that may be helpful also some even posted by Troy Built
 
Back
Top