My Snapper lives!

combatcarl

Threads
So several months ago, I found a Snapper on Craigslist for cheap, and somwhow managed to get there first. It sat until today, when I finally got around to tearing it down, and rebuilding the carb. It runs, and well! I stupidly got ahead of myself, and pushed it into the grass before attaching the bag. A faceful of lawn welcomed my rush. Oh well. Now I know better!
I have a question, though. How is the jet on the bottom of the fuel bowl adjusted? It's in the second picture, I just haven't played with one of these before. All the other adjustments have been made, but it smells like it's running rich, and pops and snorts at high RPM. Idles well, and throttles up ok, but doesn't like high RPM. Is this what the screw adjusts?
Other than paint, and the drive belt, it's a solid machine. And, if I may ask, what is the PN on the belt? Thanks, guys (and gals) reading through here has been fun and enlightening.
IMG112.jpg

IMG114.jpg

PS..Is there a different image type to use? Those IMG pics are HUGE! What works better?

combatcarl

Threads
So I googled all over....

Figured out, it is the same adjustment, 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated, as the idle mix screw. Choked, fired on 2nd pull, let warm up and adjustment made. Goes pretty good now, no stumble on rev up to full throttle. Smells rich on full throttle, though. I'll sort it out.
Further investigation into the pulleys and lack of belt, finds that the idler is seized tight. So the PO cut the belt off.. To get to that, do I need to remove the whole pulley and mount setup? So an idler is on order Friday, and hopefully be chopping some grass soon.

And.. are these older snappers a little on the loud side? Or is it muffler time, too? I kinda remember my wife's granddad's being a little on the loud side, too. I kind of enjoy the racket, but Her and the neighbors may not.

kyoshofan1

Threads
Nice mower and congrats on getting it running. I love the taste of grass in the morning-lol!

combatcarl

Threads
Yeah, the grass in the face surprised the heck out of me! That blade has some serious lift. Think I may get the wings for the blades, it stuffs the bag pretty quick as it is, but may help with wet stuff and leaves. The idler pulley came in, need to order a belt, it's ridiculous to push that beast.

kyoshofan1

Threads
I know its hard to push, I have a 21500PC I am trying to get running. Just got it yesterday for $20. It is the commercial model and is a heavy sucker!

Snapperfreak

Threads
I've found that the easiest way to get to that belt that u speak of is to remove the engine. It sounds scary but it's not too bad. Just 3 or 4 bolts under the deck attach it to the deck. Remove the blade, then remove those bolts and if u pick up the engine just a couple inches that should allow u enough room to get the new belt around the pulley and the shaft. Then just set the engine back on the deck and bolt it back on. It's just too tight to get that belt on any other way, as far as I know.

I need to play with my adjustment screw as my 21401P is acting like yours was to begin with. Thanks for researching that, I had no idea how that worked! Cool man, now u got two awesome old mowers! And no need for a new muffler, they are supposed to sound like that.

combatcarl

Threads
Ok, so how in the fudge do I get that whole drive pulley/idler adapter plate mount off the mower deck? See pic. Idler is frozen solid, I'm trying to replace it, but I'm about to grind off the nut on the bottom, and replace the whole "'"" thing.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Ahhh now I see. If that whole plate is what u want to take off I would soak it with zep 45 or wd 40 to remove the rust enough to get that bracket off. you'll probably have to spray it several times but that's how I've gotten wheels off of axles that erre frozen on. Spray, let sit for awhile, spray, repeat.... That's the best I know for that.

combatcarl

Threads
Well, I got the top two nuts off easy. The bottom one however, is what holds the drive disk on. To get it off, I need to grab two flat spots (under the drive disk, on the shaft) with a wrench, to keep the the whole thing from rotating. However, nothing I have that's big enough to grab that, are thin enough to reach under the pulley. I'm 5 minutes from grinding the nut off the bottom, and replacing the drive disk.