My RER1000 will not start or spark

angelabrown

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I can't seem to find any posts that are referring to my model lawn mower... it's the Craftsman 420cc 30 6-Speed Rear Engine Rider. I bought it at the very end of last year.

My neighbor "helped" me out last winter by piling all the leaves in my mulch garden, well I was unaware of a stump close to the mulch garden that was now covered in leaves, and needless to say, the mower took a rough hit. Bent the blade to a whole new degree of awful. I finished scalping my lawn while saying choice words.

The mower ran out of gas, and I had a hard time getting it started. I finally jumped it off, from the starter solenoid, and it went back to mowing. After about 3 swipes, it quit again.

I wasn't getting any spark. So I went to Sears, got a new blade, went to Auto Zone, got a couple plugs. Put the new blade on, and new plug in, still no spark. I got out the manual, checked the 15 amp fuse right under the key switch, it was good (I tested it with a meter to make sure) My battery is dead... someone has my charger borrowed. I'm going to get it back tonight... but when I jump from the solenoid, still no spark. I feel that there is some safety issue that is keeping this from starting. I'm not even getting the click from the solenoid when I hit the key... not anything...

Here's to hoping someone can help. I am super with carburetors... but not so great with electrical...

If I can get this thing running again... I will need some help removing all the safety switches... I'm the only operator, and I don't need that aggravation.

PS... This mower only has about 10 hours or less on it... 8(

AnthemBassMan

Threads
-Sounds like you sheared the flywheel key on it from hitting the stump. It might have partially sheared at first, then sheared the rest of the way as you kept mowing. Take the blower housing off, then remove the flywheel nut. Might be 15/16" nut. If the groove in the crankshaft and the flywheel don't match up, then there's your problem. A new key should only run a couple bucks at most...

L8R,
Matt