My Lawn Mower Repair Thread (56k warning)

hanyoukimura

Threads
The Husqvarna will probably have to wait until next week before I get time to look at it. In the meantime, I got quite a bit done in a few hours I had today.

First up was the Grand Prix. Still not ready for reassembly yet, but getting there. Maybe tomorrow evening I can start putting it back together. What I did get done was repaint the wheel hardware, which I elected to do after the rust stains wouldn't come out.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Next I needed to finally tackle the one thing that really kept me from working on this mower in the first place. It's got front and rear pieces of curved steel designed to keep grass in the middle of the deck. Well the back on had been broken off when I got the mower, and I wasn't sure what to do to fix it. It broke on one side right where the metal is sharply bent to form a bracket to put a bolt through. I had scavenged one from another mower, but it was very rusty and brittle.

With nothing to lose, I decided to repair it. this was possible because for some reason, the broken one was longer than the front guard. That meant it actually didn't curve properly to help for a perfect circle when it was new, but the upshot is that there was enough left over to try and bend the remaining metal into a new bracket. So I placed it over the good guard, marked where I needed to make the bend, and stuck it in a vice. Remarkably the metal actually bent without breaking, which is impressive considering how old it is.

web.jpg

I placed the guard in the mower so I could test fit it. It's actually a really good fit, and curves with the shape of the deck the way it should. I lined it up and drilled a pilot hole. Then I removed it and bored out said hole.

web.jpg

With that done, both guards got a coat of black paint.

web.jpg

web.jpg

All that's left before final reassembly is to repaint the engine shroud and recoil. Maybe I'll get to do that tomorrow too.

Next up is the Yard Man 11A-A18M055. I actually just wrote up a how-to for restoring damaged paint using this mower, which you can check out here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...tore-fuel-stained-faded-paint.html#post206147

The short version is a good cleaning.

web.jpg

Followed by rubbing compound, then wet sanding when that proved insufficient, followed by another round of rubbing compound.

web.jpg

web.jpg

After that I needed to do something about the black plastic, which had suffered from being outside.

web.jpg

I've got a trick for that too!

web.jpg

web.jpg

Much better!

Now for that muffler...

web.jpg

I was going to repaint it, but while wire brushing the rust off in preparation, it actually cleaned up well enough that I didn't feel paint was necessary.

web.jpg

Put it back on, and spray some black engine paint on the engine and gas tank to spruce it up a bit. With the sun going down I declare this one cosmetically done.

web.jpg

Just need to change the oil, air filter, and sharpen the blade and this scrap bound mower will be ready for a new home that will hopefully take better care of it (I can dream, right?).

Vervepipes

Threads
Very nice transformation.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Got something super neato today!

About 10 minutes before I go to work, I get a knock on my door. The scrap guy who brought me those other two mowers said he had another and asked if I wanted it. So what did I get? It's an cast aluminum deck Snapper!
No time to look at it, but I did snap a quick photo before I left. Seems like its all there too.

web.jpg

Snapperfreak

Threads
Nice FREE snapper! Looks like maybe a '79?

mmanter

Threads
And is self propelled?

hanyoukimura

Threads
Only had about an hour after work before storms set in. getting closer though...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Snapperfreak

Threads
Looking good...what's your plans for the snapper??

hanyoukimura

Threads
Looking good...what's your plans for the snapper??

Nice FREE snapper! Looks like maybe a '79?

And is self propelled?

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to really look it over yet, but yes, it is self-propelled and nothing is seized. All of the cables and linkages seem to work too.

As I was putting stuff away tonight, I yanked the spark plug out to check for spark. Nothing, but the plug was ancient, so I grabbed a decent one I had kicking around and tried that. Spark! Shot of carb spray in the carburetor and it gave a cough. If i get the chance, I should be able to get it running tomorrow. If everything is in working order, I'll very likely repaint it. Really needs some TLC!

No photos today, but tomorrow should be some good stuff. I think the Grand Prix will finally be going back together!

hanyoukimura

Threads
The Yard Man is all done now. Cleaned up and made ready for its photo shoot.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Starts first pull and runs like a champ, she's good as new!

Snapperfreak

Threads
Looks really good, showroom condition!