My garden is dying!

pollyannasmum

Threads
I thought my ground cover was pretty hardy as it's an evergreen that smells like pine when it's cut (sorry don't know what it's called) but I've noticed that a lot of it has died. Do you think the wild strawberries taking over the ground have killed it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
pollyannasmum;16288 it's an evergreen that smells like pine when it's cut ... I've noticed that a lot of it has died. [/QUOTE said:
Do you know if it will normally survive being cut... ? can you post some pictures of it... How tall is it usually, if left uncut? :smile:KennyV

pollyannasmum

Threads
I've searched on the web and I'm pretty sure it's a Juniper bush. It was here when we moved in thirteen years ago and has spread low over quite a lot of ground but it looks dead now.There's a load of wild strawberries growing underneath and around it so I'm guessing they've killed it. I have cut it back without a problem before.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've searched on the web and I'm pretty sure it's a Juniper bush. It was here when we moved in thirteen years ago and has spread low over quite a lot of ground but it looks dead now.There's a load of wild strawberries growing underneath and around it so I'm guessing they've killed it. I have cut it back without a problem before.
Sounds like Parsoni juniper. If so it could be lack of water or to much water. That stuff is kind of hard to grow. When you see it start to turn it's already too late. Probably too much moisture or poorly drained soil if there are wild strawberrys around it.

pollyannasmum

Threads
We have had record amounts of rain over the last few months as well as the snow and really cold weather so I'm guessing that there has been too much moisture, as you suggest. I'll have to have it out.:frown:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sorry for your misfortune :frown: This sounds like something that would happen to me... anything I plant dies, haha.

Sometimes I like to check out our the LMF sister site, CountryByNet.com. It's a forum that addresses more broad Lawn & Garden issues. I find some gems of gardening advice in the Homesteading and Gardening Forums.

I hope that helps, because I am surely not the expert! :tongue: