My bolens!!

metz12

Threads
My bolens straight shaft weedwacker finally quit on my today (rip) after i was running it to do a leaf job this sunday since it hasnt ran since august/september and it was running fine until BAM! the engine ceased, ant there is some kind of hole in the cylinder. i have never heard of this happening but i guess i have to find a new trimmer. I have a curved handled one, that i am currently borrowing from my dad and i like it. i dont think i want another straight shaft. Any suggestions? echo? stihl? another craftsman? TIPS PLEASE!! thanks

Threads
Yes! I love this topic! :laughing: I would recommend Echo, but Stihl is good also. I have the SRM-225 and I love it!!! Why don't you want a straight shaft?? You can get under things easier! Here is the Echo website: String Trimmers, Weed Trimmers, Weed Eaters, Curved + Straight Shaft Yard Trimmers | ECHO USA
The Echo (curved shaft) GT-225 and GT-225i use the same head as I have on my trimmer (21.2cc). Then the GT-230 uses a more powerful engine (22.8cc). Here is a pic of the GT-230, and then the SRM-225 (lowest-end (but AMAZING) straight shaft trimmer). You can also get a straight-shaft trimmer with the 22.8cc engine (SRM-230). There are also even more powerful engines you can get with the straight shaft design!
curved shaft ECHO.jpg

SRM-225.jpg

metz12

Threads
Wow, those things are pretty pricey. i guess if you want quality stuff you gotta pay the price! but i feel like when i use a straight shaft trimmer then my back gets tired quickly.

Threads
Wow, those things are pretty pricey. i guess if you want quality stuff you gotta pay the price! but i feel like when i use a straight shaft trimmer then my back gets tired quickly.

Yeah, they are a little pricey, but that will come with the durability. My back does not hurt when I use my SRM-225. Actually for the 225 I think it is a pretty fair price....I would recommend that one. Then once you get into the SRM-280 and stuff like that, yeah, it gets pricey!

My SRM-225:
DSCN2798.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's time the two of you get a lesson in equipment physics and how it compares to the type of equipment you purchase. Let's look at curve shaft vs. straight shaft. Curves shaft units loose up tp 20% of the power generated at the engine, depending on their design. Because the is curved, you must use a more flexible drive shaft, which transfers less power to the head. Second, with a curved shaft, you are putting uneven pressure on the head bearings and coupler, because the shaft is constantly trying to straighten itself. This pressure causes the bearings and coupler to wear out faster. The coupler on the head and clutch coupler must be looser, because of the torque on the curved drive shaft, causing them to wear faster. Curved shaft units can only support the string heads, while straight shafts can accept a variety of cutting heads, because you don't have the extra torque pressure on the clutch, coupler, shaft and bearings. Curved shaft units also run hotter at the head, because of the reasons listed. Curved shaft units are mainly for residential use where the home owner uses then for about a half hour at a time. Yes, they are lighter and easier to get around, but for professional/commercial use you are better off getting a good straight shaft unit, with a good backstrap system. They may be heavier and not as pretty, but if you are in the business, you care more about lasting quality than looks. If you don't believe me, take an old drive shaft, bend it a little and then try to twist it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just bought a Sears 31cc 2 stroke for $113 at store. It has direct DNA to the Ryobi 790R which was great for 10 years ( I know , it's considered the Kia of trimmers). The 31cc engine is a power house. The Ryobi snap in bottom fits the sears so I have my old brush cutter, and two ryobi bump heads all with .090 line.

I looked at Husqy at H Depot. The straight AL shaft was indeed nice, but I choked at $250. I bought the son-in-law an Echo which is nice.

I will match that old 790R to anything. I mowed two huge dog yard by hand (too many dog holes for a mower) for 8 years all summer . Literally "dug" out weeds and did normal trimming. The 790R laughed at thick stalk WET grass. One of the top 5 tools. RIP . :2cents:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's time the two of you get a lesson in equipment physics and how it compares to the type of equipment you purchase. Curved shaft units are mainly for residential use where the home owner uses then for about a half hour at a time. Yes, they are lighter and easier to get around, but for professional/commercial use you are better off getting a good straight shaft unit, with a good backstrap system. They may be heavier and not as pretty, but if you are in the business, you care more about lasting quality than looks. If you don't believe me, take an old drive shaft, bend it a little and then try to twist it.

Thanks for the lesson Mr Rivet's. Very informative analogy and I couldn't agree more. Your 30+ years of mechanical knowledge and experience in instructing shines through again. We appreciate your time and effort. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just bought a Sears 31cc 2 stroke for $113 at store. It has direct DNA to the Ryobi 790R which was great for 10 years ( I know , it's considered the Kia of trimmers). The 31cc engine is a power house. The Ryobi snap in bottom fits the sears so I have my old brush cutter, and two ryobi bump heads all with .090 line.

I looked at Husqy at H Depot. The straight AL shaft was indeed nice, but I choked at $250. I bought the son-in-law an Echo which is nice.

I will match that old 790R to anything. I mowed two huge dog yard by hand (too many dog holes for a mower) for 8 years all summer . Literally "dug" out weeds and did normal trimming. The 790R laughed at thick stalk WET grass. One of the top 5 tools. RIP . :2cents:

motoman,

IMHO, your advice is spot on!! I too used a Ryobi 790R for 10+ years and right now my son is still using it. The original SpeedSpool was the easiest trimmer head by far to replace the line in. The ONLY problem I had with the Ryobi was that the doggone 10% ethanol gas destroyed the fuel lines and they had to be replaced and the shop that did the work didn't know what they were doing when they replaced them. Still "leaks" a tiny bit but runs well and all of the attachments that the detachable straight shaft accomodates makes it a very versatile trimmer as well. But in my wisdom(or lack thereof:0) I decided to get a 4-cycle straight shaft trimmer and ended up getting a Troy-Bilt at Lowes(same place I bought the Ryobi). Main reason.....also has DNA from Ryobi(most likely built by them) and the attachments work and I could use the spare SpeedSpool I had bought for the Ryobi. But....the Troy-Bilt(even though quite a bit more expensive) was not the same quality components as the old Kia(I mean Ryobi:0) 2-cycle. Just after the warranty expired, so did the drive shaft(twisted off where it connects in the head). I ordered a replacement from Troy-Bilt and hope it fares better. All that being said, I sometimes wish I had the old Ryobi and had the fuel leak fixed and give my son the Troy-Bilt:0)

P.S.
I can't tell by the OP's original statement whether he actually is in the "lawn business"("doing a leaf job") or whether he simply needs a residential quality trimmer(like we have recommended). He sure was put off by the pricing of Stihl & Echo trimmers!!

Threads
P.S.
I can't tell by the OP's original statement whether he actually is in the "lawn business"("doing a leaf job") or whether he simply needs a residential quality trimmer(like we have recommended). He sure was put off by the pricing of Stihl & Echo trimmers!!

djdicetn:
He does have a small lawn care business he started last summer (as stated my one of his started threads). :smile: