MX5050 - Steering/Hydro problem? Not "stopping" in neutral

ToroMan1809

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MX5050 - Steering/Hydro problem? Not "stopping" in neutral
I decided to run the mower over the yard yesterday and mulch up some leaves, etc. I noticed that the right lever would not stop in neutral like the left would.

It might be hard to explain but you know how when you return the lever to neutral, it sort of stops/sticks in neutral? The left would work properly but the right lever would just move from full forward to full revere without that momentary stop/lock in the neutral position.

What could cause that? I need to change the hydro fluid soon and wondering if that could cause it. I didn't have time to really investigate the issue yesterday but plan to this week.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look under the unit and compare the linkage on each wheel hydro where they hook to the hydro control levers. There is usually a couple brackets and a spring or 2 that helps center the levers. You may be missing a spring or rusted/frozen linkage.

Last edited:

ToroMan1809

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I'll take a look at see what is going on.

On a side note, does it matter if I use conventional or synthetic 20w50 for the hydro drive oil? I'm pretty religious when it comes to maintenance so it would be changed frequently. I also need to buy filters, does anybody know the equivalent WIX filter?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Synthetic would be the better choice. It doesn't break down as easily.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks. I'll take a look at see what is going on.

On a side note, does it matter if I use conventional or synthetic 20w50 for the hydro drive oil? I'm pretty religious when it comes to maintenance so it would be changed frequently. I also need to buy filters, does anybody know the equivalent WIX filter?
Do not change it any more often than the recommended intervals.
It is not like engine oil where it gets full of contaminants.
People do more damage changing the oil than running that oil for 10 years would do.
And you have to be very clean, a simple wipe over is not good enough.
Dirt & dust introduced during an oil change will do more damage than running the old oil.

ToroMan1809

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally had a chance to look at the steering arms this weekend. It appears that I do not have any springs return or stop springs at the lever but there is a damper that looks like a bigger version of a SUV tailgate hatch. That's the only thing I can see that controls the movement of the lever.

Are those prone to going out and is that what essentially "stops" the steering lever in the neutral position?

Any suggested places online to purchase from?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The spring they are referring is at the hydro controls on the transaxle if am not mistaken. Without knowing the model numbers it is just a guess but hydros do look like Hydro Gear EZT version.

EZT Neutral Spring.PNG